leader material for 1/0 or 1 hooks

Started by mrbrklyn, September 09, 2018, 03:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

What size leeder material do you snell small hooks with (1,2 or 1/0)

I've been using 20 pd flouro but the line is not very stiff and it tangles the shock leader.

Swami805

I've used 20# P-line floro and it's stiffer than the other brands I've used, Might give it a try. Floro has more memory than mono, if you stretch it it takes some of the curl off from being wound on the spool
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Captain64-200

mrbrklyn  ,if you want to minimize  tangles , you can use Mason "hard type"  or Amnesia  for leader .I 'm surf fishing with that kind of stiff material  since the 90's  and it's very efficient ,even in strong currents/waves  ... 
Fred from Biarritz ,

FatTuna

For scup and seabass, you really don't need fluorocarbon.

As Joe said, the fluorocarbon is stiff and has a lot of memory, it will act like a coiled spring. Mono is softer.

I would just do braid to a windon mono leader. Uni to uni knot. A couple fathoms long. Keep it simple.

Some brands of mono and fluorocarbon are stiffer than others. For example, Ande backcountry mono is super stiff. Berkley big game is nice and soft. Seaguar blue label fluoro is super stiff. Seaguar Premier is soft.

redfish12

Try the hard nylon leader material, it's super stiff!

cmdrzog

For many years I've used nylon leader material sold as 47" straight strands.  It works  equally well for snells and rigs.  Sourced by Terminal Tackle in Kings Park NY and occasionally on the auction site and probably available at your local B & T.  I would use 20 or 30lb depending on the weight of the hook your snelling.

boon

Can someone fill in a blank for me here; if you're running a 20lb leader, then, other than a tiny gain in abrasion resistance, what's the point in running more than 20lb braid? Especially considering most "20lb" braid breaks at north of 30lb anyway.
In this funny little corner of the world it is very uncommon to run leader lighter than the braid main.

Swami805

I pretty much always use heavier braid than the leader, usually 10 to 30lbs or more. If it breaks it will be the leader. Most mono breaks much heavier than the label too so it evens out unless it's IGFA rated or something. Not much to replace a topshot, gets pricey replacing braid. It also gives you an option to fish heavier topshot if you want to.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

FatTuna

Only time I ever fish super light braid is on a spinning reel. Specifically because I want it to cast far.

On a conventional reel, the lightest I typically go is 50lb. Regardless of the leader.

Light braid is more susceptible to braid bite. If you run charters or fish with people who are amateurs, light braid is a nightmare. Picking out a backlash with 80lb isn't bad. Picking out a backlash with 20lb is not fun.

It's a pain to tie knots with. Especially, if you are outside in the wind.

Heavier braid will last longer.

It's good if you decide you want to switch over and fish more lead and bump up the leader.

I don't see what benefit lighter braid would have unless you live in an area with deep water.  Where I live, 500 feet is super deep so more than 300 yards doesn't buy you anything.

Keta

Quote from: boon on September 10, 2018, 04:14:00 AM
Can someone fill in a blank for me here; if you're running a 20lb leader, then, other than a tiny gain in abrasion resistance, what's the point in running more than 20lb braid? Especially considering most "20lb" braid breaks at north of 30lb anyway.
In this funny little corner of the world it is very uncommon to run leader lighter than the braid main.

I do not go by breaking strength for braid, I go by diameter.  Thin braid cuts your hands, air knots  and cuts into the line on the spool worse than thicker braid.  Most of my smaller reels are spooled with 60# but my small Calcutta 50's and 51's have 20#.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yup! you wouldn't be able to keep any braid under 60# away from the spool gap on the 1/0, maybe the 40#could work, but I'm not sure.

Sal

Ooops, I just saw you're talking 1/0 hook size, I thought you meant 1/0 reel...scratch that...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

I have been using 20# braid and ten feet of 20# FC to work jigs over rough nasty bottom and they get snagged frequently.  The FC almost always breaks first because it gets chaffed on the bottom first.  I just recently switched from FC to 20# mono (thanks Joe).  The mono stretches more and probably chafes more readily, but I'm hoping the lower density will help keep if from dragging on the bottom so much.
-steve