Grandma's first Salmon

Started by Gobi King, September 10, 2018, 01:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

It was a zoo Friday night at the river, grandma fished from the bank from her chair.
After an hour of few bites and break offs, she finally landed one, her first of this seasons run. I ended up with 1 too, much smaller than hers  ;D.

Gama size 8 hook with a single orange egg.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

Good for Grandma.  That made you both happy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Nice fish!...good job Grandma!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Well done, bro! Great memory to share with a very important person.
Keep it up,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Benni3

That's cool,,,,the other fisherman ??? And she's catching the big one :D love it,,,,great job  ;D

oc1

Good going.  Fishing with my grandmother has a lot of special memories for me.  She was avid and was often the only one who would take me fishing when I was very young.  Then, years later, she was no longer able to get around very well but was still avid.  The tables turned and I was the one who always took her fishing.
-steve

Reel 224

You go Grandma! 8)............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rivverrat

I really like these pics of family members catching fish.

I also like that I can go for miles on my two favorite rivers & not see any one or another boat.

Some of the water fished here by members surprises me how crowded it gets... Jeff

Gobi King

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 11, 2018, 03:16:15 PM
I really like these pics of family members catching fish.

I also like that I can go for miles on my two favorite rivers & not see any one or another boat.

Some of the water fished here by members surprises me how crowded it gets... Jeff

After Grandma's hernia mesh repair, it is quite painful for her to be on a boat, so I take her to bank/pier fishing trips.

In Michigan salmon fishing is "combat" fishing unfortunately, but grandma still loves to fish. Most guys next to her are very helpful.

We are usually go fish in the camp ground on the same river, but this year we opted not to camp due to lack of time.

Grandma and I fish overnight in total darkness as there is more room then :-)

Here is a pic from few years back from the camp ground, grandma and my youngest.
Fichigan

steelfish

nice picture amigo, both of them

thats what fishing is all about, keeping family closer and having a good time
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

The fact you & your family get out fishing with grandma is whats important.

I've a couple of friends that could no longer fish with out help. One of them came back form the Middle East unable to walk.  It is an honor & great joy for me to pack him on my back 3 - 4 miles to my favorite spot on the river. The area is not accessible by regular prop driven boat & is to ruff a ride for him by air or jet boat.

Some times we need to do what ever we can so others can keep experiencing the great joy we call fishing. By doing this the experience deepens & for me is redefined... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2018, 05:26:04 PM
.......unable to walk.  It is an honor & great joy for me to pack him on my back 3 - 4 miles to my favorite spot on the river.......

awesome !!! you're a classy guy amigo
The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Quote from: steelfish on September 13, 2018, 06:07:38 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2018, 05:26:04 PM
.......unable to walk.  It is an honor & great joy for me to pack him on my back 3 - 4 miles to my favorite spot on the river.......

awesome !!! you're a classy guy amigo

Kudos Brother! that is awesome you did that. I had a long chat with a DnR officer about re-leveling the switchbacks to access the river bank for the handicap access. He is wanting to do it but they are short of funds.

We went out again after a rain shower for a few hours at sunset and Grandma had 3 fish on and landed one. I had 2 on and landed 2. The water was crystal clear and I had to downsize my hook size to a 10 with a single red plastic egg.

We drove over to boat launch where there is public fish cleaning station and there were 4 guys from Ohio we met, one guy had a manly fillet with a bent tip, he made quick fillets out of them.  They had a caught a few on the pier throwing glow cleos.

Kept the fish fillets in the cooler with ice and dropped them off at the smokehouse later.
Fichigan