WIP wide top star

Started by STRIPER LOU, September 13, 2018, 05:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Lou: What size lathe are you using?.......................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Joe, its a Precision Matthews PM-1127VF-LB. 

11 x 27. Its imported. I had been looking for a good used Hardinge but the prices were insane. Although I'm not a big fan of imports, this one without a doubt was the better choice.

I was lucky to find it used and it needed some work which made it affordable. It took me several weeks to get it back in order and I really like it. With the repair work and the gibs adjusted properly, its capable of very straight, accurate cuts. For me, I wouldn't consider a 10" or under machine and wanted a 12. Unfortunately, no way to get that size machine in the basement. The 11 x 27 is a good compromise and has a 1 1/2" bore, (very important) and a bed width the same as most of the 12 x 36's. The variable speed drive is sweet too. Matt is a terrific guy to work with and the product is well supported. I believe he even offers a discount for Vets.

Here's a link and a few pics. Are you thinking of buying a lathe?      https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1127vf-lb/

There's a ton of old South Bend's around and no doubt they were fine machines but this machine will run circles around the old ones. The Hardinge's are great machines too, but, expensive. Don't forget to check Craigslist as that's where mine came from in LI NY.

...............Lou

Reel 224

I just bought a 7X16 lathe that is a veritable speed brush less motor, smaller then you lathe but will do everything I would ask of it. and by the time I bought the various tools it was $2000.00. It can handle everything up to 7" and it's a 4" chuck 4 jaw.

I would like to buy a milling machine next for mid sized work. That will have to waiter till next year. You have a nice setup in the basement very neat and orderly, I know because I have been in your shop.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Great deal! That will get you going! Good luck with it.

For me, the larger size works out as I do some specialty work for other machine shops. The problem with all that stuff is, the bigger it gets the more difficult to move around.

Took 4 guys over 4 hrs to get the mill in the basement.  The lathe, we were able to use a tractor, skid, and motor hoist.

Enjoy,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Yes that is a big consideration for me as there is only me and Ruth most of the time, that unit weighs about 136# so I can manage that by myself. Anything over 175# I need help.

Joe

gstours

Lou, you are an inspiration to us all.  Ive never seen a shop so clean.  Keep up the good work.   Thanks for the pictures. ;)

Reel 224

Lou: I don't want to steal your post except to say. I received my Lathe today and soon as I clean it up and set it up I will take pictures.

Joe

STRIPER LOU

Joe: not at all. Glad you got one and looking forward to seeing it!

............Lou

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?