Penn 26 Monofil

Started by Reel 224, September 15, 2018, 01:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I didn't find your observations confusing PA Joe...I doubt Jersey Joe did either. Your wide usage of sizes demonstrates just how versatile these old reels are. One just has to match the line to the job. I guess a super-simplified recipe would be "fish whatever ya like for dropping...but stay heavy enough to keep out of the spool gap for casting". 8)

P.S.--- I just spooled my Daiwa Millionaire 3H with 30lb. braid. I've never tried braid for catfishing, who knows what will become of this...::)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on September 20, 2018, 01:56:43 PM
   "fish whatever ya like for dropping...but stay heavy enough to keep out of the spool gap for casting". 8)

Well said, Mo.   

MarkT

If your old reels are eating line do you build up the edge of the spool with fingernail polish?  It's an old method of dealing with the issue.  Personally, I've used clear but if you like wild colors knock yourself out.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Decker

Quote from: MarkT on September 20, 2018, 02:19:11 PM
If your old reels are eating line do you build up the edge of the spool with fingernail polish?  It's an old method of dealing with the issue.  Personally, I've used clear but if you like wild colors knock yourself out.

I remember you mentioned that method a while back, Mark.  Haven't tried it.  I guess you put some on, then try it, then put some more on.... until you get close?  A really thin bead of it right on the edge?  I'd like to find a photo.  Will they do it for you at the salon?  ::)

Gfish

Several posts ago, I Mentioned line eating problems on a 180. Thinkin more on it, aligning the spool evenly as Joe mentioned could mitigate the issue. Then again, this reel's got a plastic spool on it. Perhaps the bakelite side-plates, or the spool, or both, have been degraded by the elements over time leaving me witha problem-gap. I's thinkin bout gettin a PC aluminium spool for this light-weight castable beauty, but then thought it might still have the same issue.
Probably givin myself another means to hate on plastic... Recently the radiator of my work vehicle sprung a leak from a PLASTIC section on the bottom. Very expensive and time consuming to replace. PLASTIC parts on a 180-190*F operating temp. engine cooling system? I call BS!

The nail polish thing sounds like somethin to try, though. Thanks Mark and Joe and Joe.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on September 20, 2018, 03:24:36 PM
I's thinkin bout gettin a PC aluminium spool for this light-weight castable beauty, but then thought it might still have the same issue.

I doubt a new spool will help, unless if indeed, your plastic spool has been worn away. Many do over time. You should see a little "lip" on the edge, like in the photo below. Since the PC spool is made to original Penn specs...it will fit just like an original. It seems all the small Penn models that uses the #2-155 rings have a problem gap between ring and spool if you like light line.

Decker

Gregg, I have some of those plastic spools in the 180/100/27 size too.   The thing I like about them is that they're so lightweight.   Light spool means less momentum when casting, and less back-lash potential.   A plastic spool n a 180 is just about the lightest-weight Penn conventional.  The vulnerability of those spools is a) putting mono line directly on the spool shaft that later compresses and breaks the spool, or b) dropping the spool while you are changing it.  Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a plastic spool than chromed bronze.  Aluminum is the best of both worlds.  Note the shape of the plastic spools versus the aluminum ones.  The aluminum have an 1/8" squared flange on the sides, that probably helps prevent the line trapping.  

Reel 224

;D ;D Plastic spools ??? ::) I don't think I would trust them to be loaded with Mono and hold the pressure. I have had the experience of one exploding on a reel in the past from the pressure that the new line put on the old spools. If you are going to fish old Penn reels I don't advise using the old compassion spools.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Porthos

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 20, 2018, 06:13:14 PM
;D ;D Plastic spools ??? ::) I don't think I would trust them to be loaded with Mono and hold the pressure. I have had the experience of one exploding on a reel in the past from the pressure that the new line put on the old spools. If you are going to fish old Penn reels I don't advise using the old compassion spools.

Joe   

Hey Joe,

Did you have a backing of Dacron or braid as a buffer before spooling on the mono?

oc1

First select the length, strength and type of line needed for the task at hand.  Then select a reel to match.  

The plastic Monofil spools were designed to cast better than metal spools.  The structural integrity of the plastic spools cannot be compromised with spectra braid the way they can with stretchy mono.

The monofils will also cast better with the spool under-filled because you get a faster start-up speed.  Try about two-thirds of the originally intended full spool diameter which is about half of the originally intended capacity.  The under-filled spool is also less likely to get light line caught under the flange.  

If you can keep a tight line then the line cannot get under the flange.  But, keeping a tight line means you do not get to make big fluffy backlashes; only little tight backlashes.

-steve

mo65

Two important facts to remember about plastic spools and monofilament fishing line:

No 1.  Contrary to popular belief, light mono will stretch more than heavy mono. 12lb. mono will bust a spool faster than 30lb. will.

No 2.  The quickest way to bust a plastic spool is fill it with mono from a line winding machine. The higher the tension while applied...the faster she'll pop. I like to spool my plastic spools by hand, with only a pound or two of tension, and a non-stretch backing is a must.

Quote from: oc1 on September 20, 2018, 07:25:17 PM
The Monofils will also cast better with the spool under-filled because you get a faster start-up speed.  Try about two-thirds of the originally intended full spool diameter which is about half of the originally intended capacity.  The under-filled spool is also less likely to get light line caught under the flange. 

This is an excellent tip, not only for the Monofils, but also for the other models that share it's spool/ring gap.

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 15, 2018, 01:33:45 AM
This little reel is a nice reel to work on and practice on..............................Joe     

I couldn't agree more Joe. The monofil is a great place to start for anyone wanting to learn to service Penn conventionals. It uses the absolute minimum of parts, a fantastic design, and very successful model for Penn. It's just a bit ironic than the line type it was named for can cause it such heartache!  8)

Reel 224

Well guys I'm will take your advice about backing and light winding, I am not so hard headed as to think I know it all..................sure as heck I don't. Don't get me wrong because I had one bad experience with the composite spool, I can't try a second time. ;) :D...........................Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 20, 2018, 08:54:20 PM
Well guys I'm will take your advice about backing and light winding, I am not so hard headed as to think I know it all..................sure as heck I don't. Don't get me wrong because I had one bad experience with the composite spool, I can't try a second time. ;) :D.........................Joe 

Hey brother, you ain't the first guy to bust one, and I'll bet you sure ain't the last either! They really do cast great, but they just aren't as bullet proof as aluminum or chromed bronze. I busted a spinning reel's plastic spool once...that cracking sound just punches ya right in the gut!

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on September 20, 2018, 09:08:45 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on September 20, 2018, 08:54:20 PM
Well guys I'm will take your advice about backing and light winding, I am not so hard headed as to think I know it all..................sure as heck I don't. Don't get me wrong because I had one bad experience with the composite spool, I can't try a second time. ;) :D.........................Joe 

Hey brother, you ain't the first guy to bust one, and I'll bet you sure ain't the last either! They really do cast great, but they just aren't as bullet proof as aluminum or chromed bronze. I busted a spinning reel's plastic spool once...that cracking sound just punches ya right in the gut!

;D ;D Mike the reel I filled took about 20minunts to burst and the reel was in my hand. I scared the crap out of me. :o ;D....................Joe

Ron Jones

Quote from: Porthos on September 18, 2018, 01:52:51 PM
With a SS gear sleeve, a Tiburon frame, an aluminum spool, a 13-200 pinion, and a power handle, it can fish 40lb.
And fish it well! I love that reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"