Okuma handle slippage?

Started by Christopher M Songer, September 15, 2018, 09:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

I run Okuma Line counters on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.

I have a MagdaPro 20DX and the handle slips as I reel under pressure. No the drag is not backing out. The spool stays in one place and the handle
turns with no crunching or stumbling. I can land the fish with gentle pumping of the rod as I reel down but I don't think it is operating properly.
I cleaned it but have not replaced the drag washers. Any thoughts?

Greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you,

Chris
Always go forward, never go straight

Dominick

If you are using spectra or other braid it may be slipping on the spool.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

I have a few of these reels,
When you say the handle is slipping, do you mean the handle turns and the main gear turns but the spool does not turn?

take the side cover with the handle off please, check out the okuma section, our colorado brother did a detailed pictorial,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Swami805

Maybe new washers would help, sounds like there's not enough drag pressure and it's slipping. Does it do the same thing when not fishing? If the drag is tightened down does it still slip when you pull it off by hand?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Christopher M Songer

Braid is not slipping on the spool, I do not think the main gear is moving at all when the handle is slipping, I put new C.F. drag washers in and helped immensely. I will take a look at the Okuma section next. It was slipping in my hand at home too.
Thanks guys, I have 4 of these 2 of the Mag 20DX and 2 CN 30D. They all have old original drag washers, I have changed out 2 of them so far with good results. 
Always go forward, never go straight