Morro Bay

Started by Crab Pot, September 16, 2018, 02:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

I have been making trips to Morro Bay to visit my daughter Morgan who is now a Junior at Cal Poly.

My God where does the time go...

Anyway, I like to fill her freezer evertime I go by taking a trip out of Virg's landing.

My last trip was on the Fiesta which is a nice medium size boat.

As we were getting on the boat the captain said it's looking a bit rough out there so be ready for a bumpy trip and that we may return early.

I'm looking around and the bay is glass with little wind. Keeping an open mind I give him the benefit of the doubt.

We get out there and have 6' waves every 10-15 seconds and the captain is on the PA telling us to hold on.

What? This is glass conditions out of Bodega Bay and I let them know it. There reply was we aren't in Bodega....whatever.

We "stick it out" for another 3 hours before they pull the plug.

Ridiculous, but I had the biggest full limit of Verm's I've ever had and helped fill other bags.

All we caught were Verm's, no Ling's no other rock fish.

Good trip, I filled my daughters freezer but man those SO. CAL guys need to fish up here and get more comfortable with wind and swell!

The fish in my avitar was 10 pounds taken on that trip.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Ron Jones

That,
is a very nice vermilion! Glad you caught some fish. ifferent people deal with water differently. Put a San Diego sailor on the North Shore of Oahu during the winter and watch the Rock Star melt into a pool of dribble.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Since I know the Capt. of the Fiesta and his History I will not comment on the short trip. I will say that you will not find a finer area to fish to fill a freezer than Morro Bay...Been fillin' my freezer for over 40years...Nice fish.

Tim

Jim Fujitani

Reminds me of when I got to Humboldt in the mid 70s. 

I started talking to some SoCal divers, about ab diving and spearfishing.  I told them that I could occasionally free dive to 25 feet, in a 1/4 inch full wet suit with a farmer john, if conditions were optimum.  They would chuckle and talked about easily diving deeper, and asked why I was in such a thick restrictive wet suit; they were used to diving in shorties.  I told them the water is much colder and rougher, and you need more protection from rocks when diving in NorCal surging waters.  The SoCal guys would find out soon enough that it wasn't Santa Monica up here.  Even the surfers went to 1/4 inch (or 7 mm) full suits.

Crab Pot

I love Morro Bay guys and I'll never criticize a captain for being safe.

I just got a chuckle out of the anglers white knuckling the rail in very fishable conditions.

I'll be on the Black Pearl or the Fiesta on my next visit.

With any luck I'll get into one of those big Morro area Ling's I see so many photos of.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.