Penn 30sw international

Started by Andrew Lam, September 16, 2018, 08:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Lam

Hi Alan, thanks for accepting my request. opened up the 30SW. Found no thrust washers or dogs between the bearings and the belleville washers at all. Will that cause bad issues later on? Thanks.

Donnyboat

Hi Andrew, I cant see you getting any drag @ all, if you dont have drag dogs or thrust washers, you will have to get onto mystic parts .com, surch Penn International 30SW PARTS, IT IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD, GOOD LUCK, LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON, THE THRUST WASHER FOR A 50 MAY EVER GIVE YOU MORE DRAG, CHEERS Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Andrew Lam

Oh sorry. I meant the small thin copper rings that i normally see in between the belleville washers and the gear for example. I hope you see what i mean. Anyway what is the purpose of these small thin copper rings?

Donnyboat

what your calling a thrust washer, is maybe a shim, they are really handy for taking out any slop, or centring the spool, Mystic stock them, if your doing a lot of repair work it pays to order a few extras, of many sizes, good luck, cheers Don, hopefully some one else will chime in with more info.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Andrew Lam

I really appreciate your prompt responses guys. Alrite So it's called a shim. So there aren't any shims in it. Yes Alan it works fine at the moment. Just wanted to make sure i do not damage anything using it the way it is. I would really like to buy shims, and spare ball bearings, ringed rod clamp with screws and nuts from Mystic spare parts but i don't think they ship to Mauritius. Anyway the shipping cost would probably exceed the cost of the parts.

Andrew Lam

Also, if you can see it well enough, according to your experience do you think that drag washer is still good? Thanks in advance.

Donnyboat

Hi Andrew again, thanks for the photos, the carbon fibre looks a bit clogged up, I am know expert, but I think if you spayed it with break cleaner a couple of times, the cf would be lot better, then a very light coat of grease with teflon in it, ( Cals ) is best,  should help, that will keep the drag cooler, also would give the drag a smoother start up, Bearings, have you ever tried to take the shields of off a bearing, its not hard to do with a sharp fish hook, then wash the bearing out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner,, be careful with both of these cleaners use a mask, & plenty of ventilation, then regrease the bearing with Yamaha marine grease, you can thin the grease with synthetic oil, if required, depending on climate conditions, other wise you can get a replacement bearing, from your local bearing out let, if your worried about the cost of postage, let us know how you get on, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Andrew Lam

Thanks a lot for the precious advice Don. Indeed the drag washer is clogged up with a mixture of carbon and grease. I will clean and regrease it as advised. The bearings still look fine and feel smooth and they look like the ones that cannot be opened so I left them closed until now. But I might try open one and see, the first one at the pionon gear is the one i'm most concerned about. Can i use Abro AB80 oil for cleaning those parts? If you don't mind, could you please have a look at those bearings and tell me if they can be opened. I'ld sure like to renew the grease in there. Cheers.

mizmo67

Quote from: Andrew Lam on September 17, 2018, 09:41:14 AM
I would really like to buy shims, and spare ball bearings, ringed rod clamp with screws and nuts from Mystic spare parts but i don't think they ship to Mauritius. Anyway the shipping cost would probably exceed the cost of the parts.

You don't really need shims unless there is slop that needs reducing, so it's not bad if they are not there.

Yes, we ship to most countries, so if you need anything we are here. Mauritius is fine. (https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201470415-Countries-We-Do-Not-Ship-To)
International shipping first class starts around $13, I think, and goes up from there by order size. Once you've added the parts to the cart you can get an estimate there with the shipping calculator.

Alan's thread on bearing repacking
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Donnyboat

Good thanks for chiming in Maureen, Andrew it look like a small order like yours, will only cost $13.00 you may also get some Cals grease as well, that post of Alans on greasing bearings is really good, make sure you check it out, let us know how you get on, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Penn

Quote from: Andrew Lam on September 17, 2018, 02:59:24 PM
Thanks a lot for the precious advice Don. Indeed the drag washer is clogged up with a mixture of carbon and grease. I will clean and regrease it as advised. The bearings still look fine and feel smooth and they look like the ones that cannot be opened so I left them closed until now. But I might try open one and see, the first one at the pionon gear is the one i'm most concerned about. Can i use Abro AB80 oil for cleaning those parts? If you don't mind, could you please have a look at those bearings and tell me if they can be opened. I'ld sure like to renew the grease in there. Cheers.

Your one dog is facing the wrong way.  I would recommend upgrading to Dura-Drag. 

tony

Andrew Lam

Thanks for all advice guys. Tony, good eye man. I really appreciate it. I will check out Mystic parts. I am very happy i discovered alantani.com. Cheers