alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial New Guy over in the sf peninsula and problems with 2 long beach 60's
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 12, 2018, 02:21:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy over in the sf peninsula and problems with 2 long beach 60's  (Read 331 times)
Reel Newbie

« on: September 16, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »

Hello all! I have been a long time lurker on this site ever since I first bought a penn 309 at a garage sale for 3 bucks. Using Alan's amazing tutorial on the 209, I quickly learned how to put the thing back together. The posts on this site are very informative on reel topics that you don't usually find on google. So far I have acquired at least 5 more penns and other older reels. I've so far gained  a collection of a 140 squidder with newell spool, an abu 6501c3, 309, peerless 9, and 200 surfmaster, 2 longbeach 60s, DAM 5001, and a few other freshwater reels.

On to the next topic, I have acquired two long beach 60's for a steal of $10. It seemed like a good deal, but after cleaning and reassembly, the 3 piece spools seem to be wobbly and there appears to be at least some rubbing against the side plates. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

swill88
Photo Group

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »

Good question, and welcome Reel Newbie.
Troubleshooting with a known 'true' spool will help narrow down the problem.
As for fixing the spools others may chime in.
Steve
Benni3

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »

Welcome from salem va  Grin
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »

Hi.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »

Welcome.  An aluminum spool is probably the way to go.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:52 AM »

Welcome.  An aluminum spool is probably the way to go.

Aluminum 29L-85 spools are hard to find and he might have to use a chromed brass 29M-60 spool.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:12:26 AM »

Welcome.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »

Welcome aboard, Kevin!

Best,

Fred

Before first light — with nothing less than wonder, and humility — I scan the cool, dark waters for the coming horizon — and the hope of what that deep unknowing might hold for me today...

——————————————————

Nothing happened. The fish just moved away slowly and the old man could not raise him an inch. His line was strong and made for heavy fish and he held it against his back until it was so taut that beads of water were jumping from it. Then it began to make a slow hissing sound in the water and he still held it, bracing himself against the thwart and leaning back against the pull. The boat began to move slowly off toward the north-west.

Santiago knew what he was in for, his lifelong experience had prepared him...

From Ernest Hemingway’s — “The Old Man and the Sea”

"At the Office"
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 09:21:58 PM »

If the spools are three piece, and there was mono on it, they are most likely toast and need to be replaced....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 12:15:34 AM »

Welcome!
Make sure the bushings and, or, the spool shafts aren't worn-out. If those are ok and the side-plates are even(i.e., same distance apart around the whole circumference), your spool's 'er probably tweaked, inwhich case Bill's right; they're toast.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: