Dacron vs braid

Started by ronluvs2fish, September 17, 2018, 01:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronluvs2fish

Pros and cons. What's the difference between the 2 types of line.

Keta

Dacron is larger for it's breaking strength and is not as UV resistant as Spectra.   Spectra is more expensive to buy but lasts almost forever, I have some that has been on the reels since '98.  Dacron ties better than Spectra but if the proper knots are used this in a non problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Just using both, without any technlcal knowledge, dacron (which is harder to find for me), which I use only on larger reels, makes good backing as it is thicker for a given lb. test and cheaper than spectra.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

droppedit

Depends on the type of fishing. If bottom fishing, go with the braid. The dacron is a larger diameter and tends to float (makes a big arc in the tide) where the braid seems to cut through the water faster. I haven't done that much trolling to give an honest opinion. One thing I did learn from a past screw up is if you are going to use dacron as a backing for braid, be sure to put the dacron on as tight as possible. I was bottom fishing when a bluefin tuna  hit on the way up. I had on 300 yards of new braid with dacron as a backer. Life was good till the braid started to get close to the dacron and then the braid sunk right into it. Spool locked, line broke, no tuna, and lost 300 yards of new braid. The drag never jerked though!
Hope this helps.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

oc1

The Dacron is braided line and the spectra is braided line.  I think we got into the habit of calling spectra "braid" because by the time it came along the braided silk, braided nylon and braided Dacron had pretty much disappeared and everything was monofilament.

Spectra beats Dacron hands down.  Neither one has any stretch which gives them great sensitivity.  But, Dacron has very little resistance to abrasion so you cannot let it rub anything.  The poor abrasion resistance is also why it is difficult to get anything close to 100% strength in a Dacron knot.  This is why the standard knot for Dacron is a bimini twist.  Dacron has a much larger diameter compared to spectra of similar pound test.

Nostalgia and the "hand" or feel of Dacron is the only reason to use it instead of spectra.

You do not need a backing for spectra.  Since there is no stretch winding the line on tight does not build up pressure on the spool flanges that could cause warping.  The backing keeps the slick spectra from slipping on the spool arbor but a bit of tape will do the same thing.  The backing can be used as an economical way to just take up space on the spool.  But, if the spool has more space/capacity than you need then why not use a smaller and less cumbersome reel.

-steve

wfjord

I've used braided Dacron for decades and still use it to some extent.  The feel, comfort and nostalgia may have something to do with it, which is also part of the reason I have vintage reels I'm fond of.  In the past I mostly used Dacron as backing on baitcasting reels and a mono leader, with Cortland Micron being what I favored.  I have been converting over to spectra & other contemporary braids on more and more reels, but there are some reels I'll probably always keep loaded with Dacron and a mono or fluoro leader.

I didn't have much abrasion problems with Dacron in the places I regularly fished---maybe the mono leaders and topshots had something to do with that.  Also still have Micron backing on all my fly reels, but thinking about trying spectra as backing on a fly reel I use for targeting larger river stripers.

Arthur1

Ron, most of us here love to fish :) To give you a little introduction, I sold fishing supplies retail for some time and rigging was part of it, I first mate on a charter boat and we fish like crazy from mid May till whenever in September here in the North East. That said, when working on the boat, we use dacron as a filler, no matter if we have braid on top or stainless steel wire. Also, dacron does have some stretch to it (acting as a bit of an "absorber" when trolling) and is easily spliced. Retail, we used mostly mono as backing unless the reels were being used on a boat trolling, then back to dacron. I personally use braid on just about everything, due to its thin diameter, less stretch and better sensitivity and since I like splicing, will use dacron as backing.  A mono or flourocarbon leader is always utilized due to its ability of being much more abrasion resistant than braid. I believe that someone mentioned this as well but dacron does hold quite a bit of water and with my personal gear as well as on the boat, I usually rinse off the reels off twice, the second time primarily direction the hose nozzle right next to the hose to rid the dacron of as much salt water as possible. To decrease knot size, if using dacron and solid braid and the dacron is thin enough in relationship to the braid, you can splice the braid into it or splice a loop into the dacron and tie an albright with the solid. Hollow braid and dacron you can splice into one another and have a nice seamless transiotion. Hope that helps!

Tiddlerbasher

I use to use dacron for fly line backing. I now use hollow core braid for more capacity and no knots (fly line splices into the braid) - I can also use a smaller reel for a lighter better balanced outfit. It may be expensive but it will last and last and last.

FatTuna

Yeah dacron definitely stretches. I use it almost exclusively for backing.

There are modern dacrons now. I use this stuff called Tuf-line. It's much stronger than traditional dacron. I consider it a hybrid between hollow braid and traditional dacron. Has the diameter and price of dacron but it's stronger and has a waxy coating on it. No issues with fraying or water absorption. No risk of braid bite.

I personally don't like hollow braid. Mainly because it digs into itself and you have to respool it any time you have a big run off that results in a pulled hook. Dacron is way easier to fish.

Hollow braid has it's place. I'd go with hollow-core if are setting up a 30W, 50W, or Penn 70. An 80 you could go with either depending on how much line you need.

For my smaller setups, I use #30, #50, or #80 dacron backing. It's just a filler. I mostly use #30. The #80 I use to spool my wireline reels. I swap the topshots weekly when I'm in full throttle mode.

Lunker Larry

The old dacron also holds a lot of water. Not good for us muskie fisherman in the late fall when we're at freezing. Throws up a lot of water when reeling and casting and can freeze.....an H2O issue those in the southern climes may not have had the pleasure to experience.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

drewtiger13

There are occasional advancements in all lines, so sometimes a differences become negligible, but there IS still one very important difference between the two!  that would be that Dacron use a hollow-core weave, and all the other superline braids are not meaning if you can't tie the sort of loops that Jack Ryan allows in super lines

Keta

You are uninformed, several companies make hollow spectra, Izor and Jerry Brown are two of them. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cuttyhunker

Does anyone have a diameter table for braided dacron fishing lines, I can olny find mono and the new "super braids" in the available charts.
Thanks
Doomed from childhood

philaroman

how does the whole absorption thang work when dacron sits on top?  is there any wicking action?
do the actual filaments get water-logged, or does the braid simply pick up water when submerged,
then sheds it quickly (hence, the spray)

would like to try dacron as a floatline -- much line-handling/mending as in fly-fishing
want to keep the buoyancy / low stretch / quick pick-up of PE, but eliminate the nasty PE hand-feel/bite

Quote from: FatTuna on September 21, 2018, 01:46:52 PM
There are modern dacrons now. I use this stuff called Tuf-line. It's much stronger than traditional dacron. I consider it a hybrid between hollow braid and traditional dacron. Has the diameter and price of dacron but it's stronger and has a waxy coating on it. No issues with fraying or water absorption. No risk of braid bite.

how does the waxy coating effect the hand-feel?  does the coating last,
or does it wear off the business end within months, like mid-price PE braid?

thanks

day0ne

Quote from: FatTuna on September 21, 2018, 01:46:52 PM

Most Tuf-line is braided spectra, although they do make a braided dacron. BTW, Dacron is a registered trade name for a polyester fiber made by DuPont, so basically, Dacron is Dacron, same as it has always been. In answer to the OP's question, here is some good info:

https://sportfishinglures.com/the-difference-between-dacron-and-braided-line/#:~:text=Dacron%20is%20a%20type%20of,money%20by%20using%20braided%20Dacron.

The fact that Dacron holds water tends to lead to spool corrosion and no it doesn't float. The bigger arc in the water is a function of line diameter.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter