Mitchell 408 Main drive gear

Started by PaJay, September 18, 2018, 12:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaJay

I'm looking for a #81326 main gear drive for a Mitchell 408. Anybody? New or lightly used. Thanks

akfish

That's a real tough one. Have you checked eBay? And if you find one, I'd recommend getting the pinion as well because they wear together.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

PaJay

Yea there's one new on EBay $60.00. The Pinion is another $20 at least. That's robbery. I can't even find a used one. Thanks

foakes

The cheapest route would be to get a good donor reel — but you are still taking a chance without knowing how good the gears are — unless you have it in your hands.  Then you will be able to tell by the feel and smoothness if the gear set is OK, or not.

Another route would be to keep a lookout on eBay for a donor or a gear set.

I could also provide a main & pinion ball bearing gear set for $50 shipped to you, if you can't find a better deal.

Sorry about the price — but these are as scarce and in demand as you have already found out.

However, there are some ridiculous prices being asked for Mitchell, Quick, and Penn parts online.

Today, I saw a Teflon drag washer for a Mitchell 300 or 306 for $6.99!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PaJay

Yea Fred it's a tough call to make. Actually cosmetically on the outer parts it even kind of rough. I'll keep and eye on EBay for a couple weeks and weigh my options then. $50 is an awesome price! Good chance I'll probably just either put it in the spare parts bin or buy yours. I'll look around a little but it's not promising. I got plenty to keep me busy till then. Thanks.

foakes

No issues, Jay —

I will probably just keep them to build out another personal 408 for the arsenal.

These are great reels with good gears, and very much in demand.

A great little high-speed Microlite Reel.

The gears and bearing make it a solid performer.

308 is a great little reel also.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.