lighted magnifying desk lamp or magnifying and lighted glasses

Started by Christopher M Songer, September 18, 2018, 08:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Getting geared up for a long winter at my work bench. Newbie here so I don't know what I don't know. Pros and Cons of  using a magnifying table light verses the magnifying glasses? What do you like. I understand everyone's vision is different with different needs but fire away. 
Always go forward, never go straight

oc1

I have one of those eight-inch diameter magnifying things with a fluorescent light in the rim and swivel arms that attach it to a table.  Hardly ever use it because it is cumbersome, it is hard to work something with your hands under it, you have to keep moving the thing to get it to focus on different planes, and there is a lot of distortion out toward the edge of the lens.  

Instead, I use one of those OptiVisor things with the head band.  They are light, are not in the way, not as expensive, and you can get headbands with different magnifications for close-up and very-close-up work.  

I tried an OptiVisor with a little light attached to the strap but it's fiddly.  I prefer to just have a couple of daylight-spectrum compact fluorescent fixtures hanging overhead.  You can raise and lower the lights and swing them around to get different lighting angles for taking a photo.
-steve

cmdrzog

My experience has been different. The head mounted magnifiers tended to slip and they restrict vision of tools further away requiring removal (with glove changes to keep grease off your face). Bought an omnimax 319 used at under $100 and couldn't be happier.  These are lighted high end bench mount industrial magnifiers and are very pricey but worth the money.

Still use the head mounted magnifiers on the rod bench.

Fishy247

I'm with Steve on this. I like to be able to move my head around and get a closer look at different things. I never could get used to using the desk mount one. For rod work, I have the headband lighted type with a jewelers' magnifier for ultra-closeup stuff. For working on reels, I just use a pair of readers that I slip over my usual glasses, kinda a poor man's bifocal.

Mike

Christopher M Songer

Thanks, Steve, cmdrzog, and Mike. Leaning to the head band model. So far my cheater reading glasses are good. Just got a little stronger pair at the $1 store. Might get a few more strength cheaters to go along with the head band.
Always go forward, never go straight

David Hall

I actually have and use both.  Depending on how detailed of work I have to do.