NOS parts and value??

Started by PaJay, September 18, 2018, 11:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaJay

I am restoring a few older Mitchell's. I found that one of the Mitchell 410's has a crack in it close to where it clamps on the rod. I have an NOS 81094 new housing. Problem is it does not have any serial numbers. How much would that take away from the value when all the other parts are brand new? Thanks

foakes

Likely the value as a collector "shelf" reel would have already been compromised because of the new replaced parts.

Most collectors want an unused reel with a box, extra spool, tool, grease tube, along with the warranty still in cellophane, and the owner's manual.  In this condition, the serial number means something, since it has to also match the sticker on the box for the clamshell black & white plastic boxes with yellow inserts.

With replaced parts and restored, it would be a great user reel for someone.  My opinion is that from that aspect — there would be little or no reduction in value because of the replaced frame.

Just as if you took another 410 frame with a serial number — same difference, except it would still be misrepresenting the reel since the serial number is not original, and parts have been switched around to increase the function of the reel.

The true "ACV" actual cash value is only "for sure" when you sell the reel.

Just my opinions...others may have different views.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PaJay

Thanks Fred! That was pretty much my thinking. Reason being. My youngest Daughter was a great fishing partner when she was young. I have quite a few 410's and parts. To make it completely out of all new parts all I need is the housing. I can pick one up fairly cheap. She always liked to use my pretty blue reels. Lol! I am going to build one for her all new and put it in a clear display box. My wife and I think it would mean a lot to her. That's what I'm trying to accomplish. 😊.

foakes

Sounds like a good plan, Jay!

Good family bonding and memories in getting the kids out fishing and appreciating some special gear.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.