Brake Cleaner vs Electrical Contact Cleaner???

Started by Ontherock, September 19, 2018, 02:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontherock

I had an issue with the free spool / eccentric lever on my 309 so after opening it up, I found a broken eccentric spring.
Since I have to strip everything down to replace it, I'd like to degrease the reel and use the Yamaha / Reel-X / Cal's regiment on it. I was planning on using some brake cleaner as a degreaser but I'm wondering if it will be too harsh on the plastics? What about electrical contact cleaner instead? Should do a similar job but is listed as plastic safe (except for styrene). Anyone ever use it on a reel? Any comments or advice greatly appreciated!

nelz

I tried electrical contact cleaner, it didn't work well at all.

Swami805

I found carburator cleaner and a tooth brush for metal parts works pretty well. Just outdoors with gloves and glasses to be on the safe side. Simple green or a mild soap on plastic. Never had good results with the electrical parts cleaner, brake cleaner was better.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Brake Cleaner melts disposable gloves, I'm sure it will melt plastic.
It is nasty stuff, but cleans up greasy parts quick.
Life is Good!

mo65

If you're going to be using a spray can cleaner/solvent...good ol' WD-40 will work as well as any...and I've never see it affect any kind of plastic. Just like any solvent though...thoroughly rise it off after cleaning. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

Corrosion X or WD-40 will work fine, I use the electric WD-40 on my Mig welder for the dial contacts, that is not made to clear.................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Ontherock

Guys thanks for the comments and suggestions!
I'll probably try the electrical cleaner first and see how that makes out. I can always switch to the brake cleaner for the metal parts if I have to.

Alto Mare

I've been using this product for the past 5 years and really like it:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Paslode-Cordless-Tool-Cleaner-219348/202073016

It is safe on plastic and does a great job on bearings as well.
The main ingredient is Naphtha, the smell doesn't bother me, as the carburetor cleaner.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Some contact cleaners leave a lubricant behind when the solvent has evaporated - you may not want this.

Ontherock

Thanks for all the comments! Good points all!
I finally decided to clean the plastic as best as I could with a small rag and q-tips - no solvent. I found some light corrosion on the brass parts so I removed them completely, removed the corrosion with Brasso & a toothbrush and then used brake cleaner and compressed air to do a final clean prior to new grease and re-assembly. :)