Recipe for Yellow Tail

Started by CraigArsell, September 20, 2018, 06:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigArsell

Good Morning everyone hope all of you are doing well....After the Cedros trip there was an abundance of yellow tail brought home and I wanted nothing more than to try different recipes with this fish. One I am posting for all to try is a Yellow Tail Chowdaaaaaaa. My wife hooked it up this week and we tried it at home and this was a recipe we had from her grandmother on the Outer banks for Striped Bass. I said to her this would be great if we substituted the Bass with the yellow tail and Bam it worked awesome.  I have to say that it was out of this world and I highly recommend you all giving it a try. So here it goes..

Yellow Tail "Mook" Chowdaaaa
:o
Yellow tail
1 large onion
4 slices of bacon chopped fine
1 Quart Buttermilk
2 Pints Heavy Cream
1 Cup Sherry
1 Large Bag of Frozen Corn
1 TSP white Pepper
1 Stick of Butter
1 TSP Salt
40 Oz can of Low Sodium /Fat Free Chicken Broth
Diced Potatoes, "More Yellow Tail than Potatoes
1 TBSPN Olive Oil

Simmer bacon in olive oil until fat is rendered then add onions, cook onions until golden then place potatoes in pot and simmer covered for 5 minutes ( you can add a little chicken broth to the simmer so the potatoes cook faster). Add stick of butter and mix well till melted. Once the butter is melted add buttermilk, heavy cream, sherry, pepper, corn and yellow tail...- Cook over medium heat covered for 20-30 minutes. You can add some red pepper for heat but I like to get me a big O Bowl of Chowdaaaa put some Tapatia hot sauce in and some salt and pepper a few Ritz crackers on the side and its a meal fit for a king or queen.......I hope some of you try it out....Enjoy..

V/R
MOOK....
MOOK

Ron Jones

Alison says we're making it as soon as we get home.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

We will have to try that out Mook. I might add a little smoked salmon for a little smokey kick also. Sounds great. I'm eating lots so I can fit my shirt !! :o

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

I have traveled to Los Cabos for 20 years and I have never caught a yellowtail.  This recipe does sound good.  I am going to try it with halibut.  I'll report in on the results.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ldoret94

I had a bowl for lunch yesterday, supplied by Mook, OUTSTANDING!!

swill88

Thank you Mook! Mook the cook doesn't rhyme but sounds right anyway.

Steve

Hardy Boy

So:  1) Hook YT

2) land YT

3) Fly YT home

4) cook YT (Mook to supply picture)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

thorhammer

That's a motley crew!!!! I'm on board with any recipe starting with "render bacon"!!!!!! Headed to OBX next weekend, I'm gonna cook this for the crowd!!! Mebbe use a groupa!!!

Thanks for sharing!

John

swill88

Quote from: thorhammer on September 20, 2018, 10:17:26 PM
That's a motley crew!!!! I'm on board with any recipe starting with "render bacon"!!!!!! Headed to OBX next weekend, I'm gonna cook this for the crowd!!! Mebbe use a groupa!!!

Thanks for sharing!

John

Is the road open?  Going by boat?

Never been there... on the list.

Steve

thorhammer

Steve, they didn't get banged too hard up there; so highway 12 should be good to go...I'm fishing / staying right down where David Duel caught WR red drum. If you make it this way, you gotta hit Chris (Bad 350) and me up to go down there.

CraigArsell

Quote from: ldoret94 on September 20, 2018, 08:52:28 PM
I had a bowl for lunch yesterday, supplied by Mook, OUTSTANDING!!

Awww Shucks you to kind!!!!!!
MOOK

CraigArsell

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 20, 2018, 07:31:45 PM
Alison says we're making it as soon as we get home.
Ron

Let me know how you like it!!!!
MOOK

CraigArsell

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 20, 2018, 08:30:02 PM
We will have to try that out Mook. I might add a little smoked salmon for a little smokey kick also. Sounds great. I'm eating lots so I can fit my shirt !! :o

Cheers:

Todd

I bet you that will be an awesome addition...Keep eatinnnnnngggggg  3xl
MOOK

CraigArsell

Quote from: swill88 on September 20, 2018, 09:10:33 PM
Thank you Mook! Mook the cook doesn't rhyme but sounds right anyway.

Steve

You are Welcome...
MOOK

conchydong

Sounds delicious. I bet it would be good with smoked Yellowtail also. There is a chowder type soup in Scotland called Cullen Skink. It is made with smoked Haddock and is very good.