What Reel Makes You Cringe — Before Service & Restoration?

Started by foakes, September 20, 2018, 09:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

For me, the answer has always been pretty constant...

A Mitchell 302 HD Spinner bought on EBay.

I have 3 or 4 crates of these — and they all seem to have the same issues — salt fused aluminum, corrosion, parts missing, drag stack not even close to original, pitted, any kind of grease the previous owner could find that gets mixed with salt water — then stored away for 25 or 30 years after the last fishing trip — with no service.

The grease won't even come out completely with lacquer thinner and an ultrasonic bath.

The only way to do one of these for me, anyway — is to completely disassemble it, check all parts whether they can be saved, or not — start the cleaning process which will take at least 2 hours — then see what is left over — and wade right in.

Fortunately, I do have a fair amount of new replacement parts.  

The client knows little of the challenges involved.  They just send the reel in, with a note saying that the bail will not operate properly — can you fix it?

As soon as it is started to be broken down, the sand and salt becomes more apparent.

Of course, every salt-fused aluminum part breaks off as soon as I put a little pressure on it.  

And the only parts that are not salt-fused or corroded — are the ones that are missing.

Anyway, no complaints — just take it head on...

I will post the results after 6 hours of working to restore functions and make it Salt ready.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Most spinning reels make me wish I didn't say yes to service them............................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

I have never serviced a Mitchell used in the salt...just the thought of it makes me cringe...all those aluminum parts. I have total faith in Fred though! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Started at 4:00 PM yesterday — stopped at 6:30 for dinner and to spend time with my wife.

Started again this morning at 8:00 — finished it up around 1:00.

It is never done until I would fish it myself with confidence.

Some are easy, some are more challenging — all part of the game — and it averages out...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mhc

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your structured approach to saving these neglected reels Fred. You have a well organised production line from assessing the reel, cleaning, repairing or replacing parts, re-assembly and checking all works as it should before sending the reel home. I think I've said it before - your organisational skills are something to aspire to.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

sharkman

The mid range priced Shimano used in saltwater.  They all have bearing issues and usually either the handle or the bearing is fused to the main gear.

philaroman

Quote from: sharkman on September 21, 2018, 10:16:16 AM
The mid range priced Shimano used in saltwater.  They all have bearing issues and usually either the handle or the bearing is fused to the main gear.

...and the pot-metal oscillating gear, literally crumbles apart in your hands  :o

Reel 224

This post is exactly the example why I don't want to do spinning eqiptment that's fished in salt water. Thanks Fred for showing us your work and expertise in your field.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Fred, I have a whole tote of various Mitchell's to attack when I grow up...no doubt I will need to send you a parts list :)

John

Gfish

Shimano Baitrunner. To many parts. Needs an exact reassembly sequence.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

George6308

It amazes me that people pay good hard earned money for reels. Than they do not clean them after use nor service them. I have 50 year old reels still fishing in clean condition.

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on September 21, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
Someone did a tutorial on one about 10 years ago.  I serviced one shortly thereafter and it was a little dicey but still fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

I loaned a friend a Mitchell spinner once. He used it in salt water for about 2 months and gave it back to me frozen up with corrosion.
He did not even wash it over with a hose after use. He watched me throw it in the rubbish.
I did not say a word, but was extremely disappointed.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

philaroman

Quote from: Dominick on September 21, 2018, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: Gfish on September 21, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
Someone did a tutorial on one about 10 years ago.  I serviced one shortly thereafter and it was a little dicey but still fun.  Dominick

ditto... 

sighing is for mere complexity -- it's just an annoyance & higher sense of accomplishment, when you're finally done

cringing is reserved for the foreknowledge that there will be rare parts beyond salvage, as in Fred's scenario