Calcutta 400 ARB Failure

Started by angle-iron, September 21, 2018, 01:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angle-iron

Forgive me if you're already covered this topic. I've been searching and cannot find the info that I'm looking for.

I have a 400 that is about 20 years old. A great reel. I've always fished it with 15-20# and put 30lb yellows and tuna on the deck easily. I recently upgraded to Carbontex washers and a power handle so I could fish 65# spectra with 30# top shots. On the first fish the handle started spinning backwards. Every fish did the same thing and I set the drags accordingly for 30#. I was told that the ARB gave out but when I looked up the specs on the 400 it said 16lb of drag. I took the reel apart, cleaned out the bearing and put it back together. It works with light drag pressure but when I bump it up to about 8-10lbs it spins backwards.

So here's my question: Will a new stock ARB fix this? Do they make a heavier duty ARB– maybe from another reel? OR, can I convert my reel to a 400B?

Thanks in advance guys!

AG

MarkT

A new stock ARB will probably fix it. There are aftermarket ARB's that'll fit as well. I don't know if they'd be stronger.  It has an anti-reverse cog so maybe a dog could be added.

I fish mine with 20# but these days it mostly gets used for making bait.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JRD

AG that's a bunch of needle bearings in a plastic cage.  It sounds like it's allowed you to put plenty of drag on fish ove it's 20 year life span.  I would say 20 years is a good run for that bearing.  You might have oiled it a bit heavy or got some grease on it during the drag change that could have sped up the inevitable.  Change it, test it and fish it for another 20 years.  I have tried the aftermarket eBay ARBs, I will go straight to shimano if possible from now on.  Quality was hit and miss.

mike1010

Manufacturers' drag claims are to be taken with a keg of salt.  Okay, the drag stack may generate that level of friction, and maybe do it smoothly and well, but as for the other reel components standing up to the stress...

exp2000

Quote from: angle-iron on September 21, 2018, 01:01:22 AM
I have a 400 that is about 20 years old. A great reel. I've always fished it with 15-20# and put 30lb yellows and tuna on the deck easily. I recently upgraded to Carbontex washers and a power handle so I could fish 65# spectra with 30# top shots. On the first fish the handle started spinning backwards. Every fish did the same thing and I set the drags accordingly for 30#. I was told that the ARB gave out but when I looked up the specs on the 400 it said 16lb of drag. I took the reel apart, cleaned out the bearing and put it back together. It works with light drag pressure but when I bump it up to about 8-10lbs it spins backwards.

Will a new stock ARB fix this?

You are trying to exceed the normal limits that this reel was intended for. It is a baitcaster for Barra fishing. The pic below is the result of overloading the reel - the metal drag washer has gouged a slot in the drive shaft. You might consider purchasing something more suitable for larger gamefishing.

Do they make a heavier duty ARB– maybe from another reel?

The bearing is a Koyo EWC1012. There are superior German RCs but I doubt that a different one would fit.

OR, can I convert my reel to a 400B?

Anything is possible. I have done modifications myself when confronted by a lack of spare parts, but it is not easy. The B series has a backup anti reverse dog in it and an extra side-plate screw. Apart from that they are essentially the same reel.
~

Brendan

I think Justin added an ar dog to one of these. I can't find it right now, maybe someone knows the link.
Tight lines, Brendan.

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Perfect recall to 2011.  Now, that's impressive.  This place has everything.
-steve

philaroman

Brendan

That's the one I was thinking of, nicely done.

boon

What it boils down to is that the 400 is a finesse reel and not made for fishing 60lb braid.

I fish my 400B with 20lb braid and leaders.