WON Rockfish Trip, Morro Bay, CA Sept. 21, 2018

Started by El Pescador, September 23, 2018, 09:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

After all the planning, here we go!  Heading for Morro Bay, Rick is driving, and I'm taking photos!
Leaving San Mateo, heading to San Jose, then south on Hwy. 101 to Morro Bay.  
I'm thinking, You're going to work and I'M GOING FISH'N!!!

We stopped in Paso Robles at the Firestone Brewry for some 805! A Clean California Ale style.

Enjoyed lunch at Taco Temple, Fred has written about this restaurant, we can only say good things about this location.

White Seabass taco!  The best!

Nice Dorado artwork on the wall.

We drive into Morro Bay and Morro Rock is at every intersection!  

We arrive at Alan's Cuyuccas Home, we toast "Health & Happiness!" - to you Alan!

The Motley Crew, but here is, from left to right: Bryan (US Army 7 years), Retired Chief Ron, Khanh Adams and his buddy, Bob - a kayak fisherman!!!

here is our dinner for the night: At top: Garlic Bread, Salmon, Pepper & Onions, broccoli, Portabello Mushrooms, White Seabass & kielbasa - Delish.

I brought the scotch box made by Mark Mayo - BIG hit will all in the room.  

It is now the fishing day, Sept. 21, and at the boat dock at 4:45 am!

We get underway at 5:15 am, heading north at 15 knots for 2 1/2 hours!

20 minutes into the trip, and a party breaks out!  Ed Tani & our favorite, BIG Tim.

One of the first fish on the boat!  Allison, Ron's wife, nice vermilion rockfish.

I follow Allison, with a nice ling cod!  Great battle, heading back for 30 feet, my Daiwa SLOSH 20 had the star drag pinned tight, but the fish still got line!

Buddy Rick, next to me, had his handle on his Penn 114H come loose!  DOMINICK!!!!!!!!!!!   he last tightened it!

And here is our Ring Leader, Alan himself!!!

The guy in the blue fishing shirt is our Western Outdoor News (WON) official: Ted Reed - nothing shady going on here!

Here is a good shot of the Central Coast of California - At one point, we were 150 yards from the coast fishing in 40' of water.

Here is the last view a bait fish sees when being attacked by a ling Cod!  Impressive for sure.

In the shallow waters, at times our boat was floating in a sea of "Blue Bass" - aka: Blue Rockfish, and here is Rick with two on a drop.

Alright, everyone hold tight, I have to reload and set up for the next post!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

Back to the post...

Here is Ron and Allison, she out fished him by a LONG SHOT!  Nice job Allison.

Making sure all rules are followed, and getting some fishing in as well, WON offical - Ted Reed.

Here we are very close to the coast, and in shallow waters.

here is our Deckhand, Lauren, making burgers for those who wanted burgers.

Here is my buddy, Rick, I have known him for 33 years, our youngest sons attended K-12 together and our wives are best of friends.  Good news or bad news, he introduced me to Dominick 12 years ago ;D

Now, after lunch, winds calmed down, and the Pacific ocean looked like the waters we fish in Baja Mexico - CALM & FLAT!

Today is a 2 boat fishing charter event sponsored by Western Outdoor News - Prizes and cash for the three largest fish!  Here is the Avenger!  We are on the Endeavor.

Some started to catch a Treefish- dark green with brown vertical stripes, made it look like tree rings, but the deck hands called it a LADY GAGA fish???  Why???  The Red Lipstick!!! That's why!!!!

Again, just flat and calm, we were all wondering WHY Dominick did NOT attend this trip??   This is his type of fishing water!!!!

Alright, the cutting board comes out and here comes the seagulls!!!  Everyone wants a scrap of fish.

Here are our two GREAT deckhands:  Brian & Lauren - 2 of the best for sure!!!!

More discussions on the back deck,

Inside, Dave, Big T and Rick having a discussion.

A big fish for Dave Hoffman!!!!  Nice Job Dave.

here is what I used for the day, a Daiwa SLOSH 20 reel, with CNC reel-frame by SoCal - Just a great reel.  Bought it from Reel Speed, Bryan brokered the deal.

We return to the docks, the largest fish get weighted and I have good news to report!  I WON the largest fish contest!  Lingcod 12 lbs. 5 oz.    Was awarded a photo in the next edition of Western Outdoor News, $250 and a nice pair of Costa 580G Sunglasses.   After receiving the cash prize, I walked right over to Capt. Brad of the Endeavour, and handed him the $$$, asked him to give it to his deckhands, Brian & Lauren.   Two of the best deckhands I had the pleasure of fishing with!!!!  Both were energic, positive, hard-working, and always asking what they can do for us!!  All the best to them.

Done for the day, back at the house and enjoying our company together.

here is Khanh & Rick preparing our dinner.  Nice Job Gents!

For dinner, Pork Belly roasted in the oven with a hot & spicy sauce.  Khanh & Bob did a great job on this meal.

Here is the rest of our dinner,

BUTT at the end of the day, the youngest and oldest are OUT for the nite!

Saturday am we head out, stopping at Joe's Place, in Paso Robles for this: Chilaquiles and beans, man o' man was this good!!!!

We stopped by the Giant Artichoke in Castroville for our ladies, they were happy we did!!!

Another great trip in the books, until next time...

Wayne

alantani

awesome!  thanks for being photographer for this trip!!!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Isn't it great to have a photographer (he was the high school year book photographer) on board, especially since he works cheaply?  Good job Wayno all those pics and the biggest ling.  What kind of lure did you catch it on?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Here, I have to give FULL CREDIT to Jonah at Hi's Tackle in South San Francisco,

he told me to use this lure FIRST THING, it is a

Williamson Rotating Fluttering Jig, 10 oz. GLow in the dark, Hot Pink jig,

with the two assist hooks on the top swivel ring, near the fishing line.

NO bait, Drop, hit bottom, throw the reel into gear, 3 turns on the handle, 2 rod pumps, and hang on!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Williamson-Vortex-Speed-Size-7-25/dp/B001NXD4X8/ref=pd_sbs_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001NXD4ZG&pd_rd_r=087c8445-bf8a-11e8-bf4d-41a51e5d90ba&pd_rd_w=cUYXL&pd_rd_wg=xXvhy&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=BEM7GSHGTVJSGP0P2SDA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=BEM7GSHGTVJSGP0P2SDA&th=1  

90% of my fish HIT on the first drop.

Stuff works,

Wayne

fordfox

"handed him the $$$, asked him to give it to his deckhands, Brian & Lauren." KUDOS to a man after my own heart! Looked liked a great trip for dome great guys!!!

Big Tim

Quote from: El Pescador on September 23, 2018, 11:44:37 PM
Here, I have to give FULL CREDIT to Jonah at Hi's Tackle in South San Francisco,

he told me to use this lure FIRST THING, it is a

Williamson Rotating Fluttering Jig, 10 oz. GLow in the dark, Hot Pink jig,

with the two assist hooks on the top swivel ring, near the fishing line.

NO bait, Drop, hit bottom, throw the reel into gear, 3 turns on the handle, 2 rod pumps, and hang on!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Williamson-Vortex-Speed-Size-7-25/dp/B001NXD4X8/ref=pd_sbs_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001NXD4ZG&pd_rd_r=087c8445-bf8a-11e8-bf4d-41a51e5d90ba&pd_rd_w=cUYXL&pd_rd_wg=xXvhy&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=BEM7GSHGTVJSGP0P2SDA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=BEM7GSHGTVJSGP0P2SDA&th=1  

90% of my fish HIT on the first drop.

Stuff works,

Wayne

From one no bait fisherman to another...Well done sir! And thanks again for taking the pics & telling the story. I was 4th. place with #8.6 Bocaccio rockfish. Nice fish all day for all.

BT ( and yes the Hex Bar was out in full force)

Swami805

Nice trip, nice job on the JP and kicking it down to the crew, they work hard. Those tree fish are delicious, must have been fun fishing shallow up there. Thanks for the travel log.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

the prize for the heaviest gunny sack still goes to allison.  whole squid, baby!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Now ,,,,that looks like a fantastic fishing trip ;D

Alto Mare

Great job! A nice group of guys having a good time!
Wayne, you always do an excellent job with the pictures! Thanks for posting.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hardy Boy

Looks like fun , What a great day !! Looks like Big Tim and I will get along just fine at Cedros !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

nice trip amigos, great pictures pescador wayne

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Looks like you folks had an absolute blast. Good for ya'll.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Wayne, the custom jig you fished was on fire and I'm betting you were the envy of all others on the rail.

Kudos for donating your winnings to the crew !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!