PEI giant on standup on Sept 17 - 21 2018

Started by ksong, September 25, 2018, 03:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

We fished with Capt Greg Norton. We fished close to PEI for two days and we encountered slow fishing.
Capt Greg run his  boat to Nova Scotia and we encountered good fishing like good old days for last 2 days.
Mel from California used his custom spiral wrapped Black Hole Giant rods.
He landed 600 lb - 800 lb on standup. He did not pump and used the rod bouncing back as he is 73 years old. But still he landed all giant within 40 minutes - one hour using 50 plus lb drag.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Ksong what does this quote mean?  "But still he landed all giant within 40 minutes - one hour using 50 plus lb drag."  Are you saying that this superman held 50 lbs of drag for 40 minutes to one hour?  If so he is my hero.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ksong

Quote from: Dominick on September 25, 2018, 07:25:41 PM
Ksong what does this quote mean?  "But still he landed all giant within 40 minutes - one hour using 50 plus lb drag."  Are you saying that this superman held 50 lbs of drag for 40 minutes to one hour?  If so he is my hero.  Dominick

I found most anglers who didn't fish giant on standup could do it using 50 plus lb drag on their first try.
Mel is 73 years old. He can not pump anymore and he relies on cranking while the rods bounce back to gain lines.  That is why he prefer soft tip rods like Black Hole Giant rods.

54bullseye

That's the first time I have seen a Duel Reel in action !  Looks like they work pretty good just gotta get used to reelin backwards. Looks like fun !!   John Taylor

David Hall

Brendan

However it went + OR - MY HERO. THATS NUTS.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Three se7ens

Fantastic job, that is a serious fish to spar with.

What I really like about parabolic rods for heavy drags, is that as the rod bends(and the bend will go all the way back to the butt on a parabolic) the effective length goes down.  The fish has a shorter lever, so it doesnt impart as much force at a given drag level. 

Parabolic rod or not, 50 lbs on standup gear is no joke though. 

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and information.  That's incredible any way I can see it happening.  Great job and great captain.    Wow.  🎣