Salmon report from Emeryville, CA

Started by kmstorm64, September 26, 2018, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

I booked a trip on the C-Gull II out of Emeryville, unlike El Pescador, Fish Emeryville called me Sunday to inform me I was the only one  and they were cancelling, another boat had open seats, but it also cancelled as it was up to 2 people signed up with me going over to that boat. That left with me forking out an extra $100 to go out on a sixpack, or go Rockcod fishing. Well I can Rockcod fish almost anytime, but fall salmon are elusive. Salmon locally goes from $18.99 to $25 or more per pound, so I went for salmon. 

Went out on the Sundance, R-J the Captain and Lin the Deckhand had really good customer service, and the trip was a damn good one. My rod was slow today but I saw a 24LB, a 23#, and 18lb, come in. I got a 12lb and a donated 8lb. So I am not complaining one bit. The Captain yelled time to go in at 2PM. As he reeled in he nailed a Lingcod and decided to let us go for some rock fish. I switched over to shrimp flies and brought up 12 fish with 8 being keeper size. Nothing fancy but it made the day.

2 salmon and 8 Blue Rock Cod or roughly 2.5 pounds of fillets, and another 8 pounds or so of pink stuff, and big bag of frozen parts for chowder.  Not cheap but really good quality service from the crew!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Ron Jones

Sounds like a great day!
2.5 pounds from 10 fish doesn't seem right, did you mean 25? I recently found out that I really enjoy eating blue rock cod.
I'm glad you had fun.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Where were you fishing?  I was out on Saturday to Duxbury buoy and Bolinas.  Caught one keeper at 7:30 a.m. and nothing for the rest of the day.  Knocked off at 3:00 p.m. and headed home.  It was a calm day and lots of storytelling but slow fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 26, 2018, 07:45:45 PM
Sounds like a great day!
2.5 pounds from 10 fish doesn't seem right, did you mean 25? I recently found out that I really enjoy eating blue rock cod.
I'm glad you had fun.
Ron

After you skin and fillet them, cut off the bellies, that leaves about 2.5 pounds. They are not huge fish by any stretch. I know as I bag them I weight them on a kitchen scale.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Dominick on September 26, 2018, 09:09:12 PM
Where were you fishing?  I was out on Saturday to Duxbury buoy and Bolinas.  Caught one keeper at 7:30 a.m. and nothing for the rest of the day.  Knocked off at 3:00 p.m. and headed home.  It was a calm day and lots of storytelling but slow fishing.  Dominick

We went out by Duxbury and further north by a few miles and did the long trolling circles. It was slow going with an occasional hit here and there. 4 of us fishing. 8 fish total. 

Kayak buddies are telling me HMB and Pacifica are having some fish in close right now.

theswimmer

Lots of folks toss the Jonny Blues back but not me !
That's some fine food right there .
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Hardy Boy

Why do they cut off the bellies ? That's the best part. I leave the bellies on my fillets .................... nice and fatty and the bones come off easily once cooked or on bigger fish I take them off with the knife.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

humboldtdan

Belly is the best part!  Some people use them for halibut bait, but I cant even bring myself to do that; Collars, heads and backbones, too.  A lot of good meat gets wasted.  I used to get all the discards from fishing buddies when we got back to the dock and usually ended up with an additional 3 or 4 meals.