Stripers in the River

Started by newport, September 27, 2018, 12:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Hi everyone,

it's been a while since I've been on here. How's it going? Good? That's awesome, great to hear!
Me? I'm doing well too. But, I wasn't able to fish as much as I'd have liked to the last couple years. I did fish 2 weeks ago and got into some schoolie stripers at a local river nearby where I used to live.

Biggest one I caught is pictured below. I estimate it to be at least 28" which is legal size to keep in NJ. However, this one was quickly released, right after the photo.

The equipment used was my trusty Shimano Stradic 4000FJ with 20lb braid. The fish ate a Lemire pencil popper  :)

JoseCuervo

Reel 224

Was near Raritan I also live in NJ.............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

newport

This was actually at the Maurice river, which is in the South Jersey area  :)

Hi Jose, thanks. Not my biggest striper, but it was good to get into some decent sized fish, finally.

redsetta

Nice fish newport - thanks for sharing.
Must've been a great surface strike on the popper!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

newport

Thank you redserta. Indeed, it was a nice strike. I rarely lose a fish on poppers since I switched all my trebles to inline hooks. It's safer for both the fish and the person handling it. I made a thread about it a few years ago, actually.

Reel 224

I was wondering, because I didn't recognize that area. I'm in the middle of the state close to Manasquan river. They haven't showed up her yet, and it's been raining so much that we haven't gotten out to try with earnest yet.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Dan-J

Hi Newport,  nice striper.  I am in NJ also and I fish in the Sandy Hook area.   I have swapped out the trebles on most of my trolling plugs and have started on my top water lures.  Unhooking fish is a much faster and safer process without those trebles on the lures.

Dan

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

Nice fish. Hope it's showing heathy fish stock in the Delaware Bay.

thorhammer

Stripers on poppers is right there at the top of my fav list. Nice work!

ReelDragJam

Nice fish! Probably heading to the dam this weekend to see if they are showing up in my area. Time to respool my Penn 940!
Not all fisherman are liars, just some of us forget to bring our camera.

Reel 224

Try Forked River out let to the Barnegat Inlet. It's the out fall of the Forked river JCP&L power plant....................Joe

newport

A lot of schoolies are around. I caught one that spit out what appeared to be peanut bunker. Or it might have been gizzard shad. I'm not certain. Might be these fish have been coming from the ocean and Delaware Bay up the river. Also, I think I might take a party boat out for Thanksgiving striper fishing. I'll update y'all, if I do.