Catalina 30CS

Started by Ron Jones, September 27, 2018, 05:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I've just come into possession of one of these and a few other reels and am wondering if anybody knows anything about it. I will crack it open in the next couple of days, but just from playing with it I like what I see. 1 piece frame, big gears that are listed as stainless with a 6:1 ratio and a passable arm that is screaming for a 3/0 handle.

This is from before Okum listened to Alan and started putting greased CF in everything and so I believe I'm going to need a drag set. The drag may be the week spot as it is listed as a 6 element drag, which to me says 3 disks and maybe 8-10#s of drag.

I'd like to fish this as a 40# jig reel because of the speed, but won't know until I open it up and see what it is made of.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Porthos

Ron,

Here is my CT-30C...it's 4:1 versus 6.2:1 for the 30CS. It is very likely that you can order the 4:1 gear set from Okuma for less than $30. That's what it cost me to get the 4:1 CT-55W gear to replace the 6.2:1 in my CT-55N.

I got mine in 2009 when Okuma discontinued the first Catalina line and was liquidating their remaining stock through Big5 at $49.99 a reel.

That's 40lb mono top shot spliced to 50lb braid main.

There was at least ONE drag washer that was NOT carbon fiber. After making it all CF and greased, had no issues fishing it up to 40lb. You have seen this, yes?
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=985.0

See you in less than two weeks at H&M!

Wai

Ron Jones

I just saw it after searching and then posting. I'm glad a few people have used these. I'm thinking I'll keep it fast for surface irons and such.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

i fished with one on an early SOA trip and landed a dozen yellowtail before it literally exploded.  buttoning down the star probably had something to do with that.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Exploding isn't good. I thought you gave it to an old guy that liked it. I know you worked out a drag for Bryan. The internet is forever!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

alantani

yup, he was stoked!  still, the dog gave out and the line bird's nested.  not pretty.  somewhere there is a great photo!

Porthos

Usually, an Okuma of the star drag "30" sized reels have a factory max drag of 20lbs (sundaytrucka can confirm).

If applying the my 2/3 rule of thumb, that yields a realistic fishable drag of 13.33 lbs, hence a 40lb reel max.

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on September 28, 2018, 04:56:10 AM
i fished with one on an early SOA trip and landed a dozen yellowtail before it literally exploded.  buttoning down the star probably had something to do with that.   :-\

You wouldn't happen to still have the remains of that reel, do you?

alantani

Ron Jones

The dog and the IAR went out at the same time? I guess there is something to say about double dogging.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

mo65

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 28, 2018, 04:42:33 PM
The dog and the IAR went out at the same time? I guess there is something to say about double dogging.
Ron

Possibly the AR bearing had pooped out earlier...then when the AR dog let loose things got real...HA HA!! Yes Ron, sounds like a candidate for double dogs. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Porthos

My recollection is that the right sideplate internals are very similar if not identical to the Convector CV-30L that Alan wrote up:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=774.0

The sections showing the dog and anti-reverse pawl match what I remember in the CT-30C.

Ron Jones

That actually looks pretty nice inside. I do have (completely unfounded) concerns about that type of anti-reverse. The Penn system is more substantial and less prone to alignment issues. With the ratchet not being shouldered, couldn't the pawl slip past on the side? Maybe a large washer on each side to capture the pawl would help.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Porthos

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 28, 2018, 05:43:04 PM
That actually looks pretty nice inside. I do have (completely unfounded) concerns about that type of anti-reverse. The Penn system is more substantial and less prone to alignment issues. With the ratchet not being shouldered, couldn't the pawl slip past on the side? Maybe a large washer on each side to capture the pawl would help.
Ron

IMHO, the bigger weakness is that the side of the pawl that faces the plate sits in well directly in the graphite plate. If excessive pressure (i.e., drag buttoned down) is on the dog, the well walls will fail and all the pressure transfer to the AR bearing which will eventually also fails.

Ron Jones

That's basically how a Penn is, isn't it? I'll be able to see more when I tear it apart.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"