alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Surfmaster question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 20, 2018, 09:38:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surfmaster question  (Read 987 times)
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »

Once the new drag washers have been compressed and broken in, wouldn't you need additional or stronger belleville washers to get more range in the star?
-steve
wfjord

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »

Once the new drag washers have been compressed and broken in, wouldn't you need additional or stronger belleville washers to get more range in the star?
-steve

I don't know.  The set of Carbontex washers I have in it now are so thin and stiff it's hard to see how they could compress much.

I have almost no experience with belleville washers, but I'm not opposed to trying them if they'll be an improvement.

The only reel I've ever had that has them is an old Shakespeare Sigma Supra 80 baitcaster ---I sort of recall it having either four or six bellevilles and I removed one or two that were broken up when I serviced it about a year ago.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

**A previous poster mentioned a stainless steel sleeve with finer thread.  I'd like to know more about it, and also a stainless dog and a star with matching threads ---*which are best and *who makes them.

I was the poster who said I make my own SS drag sleeves, however I do not make gear sleeves others here do offer them, I find the finer thread gear sleeve gives more adjustment....................Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
wfjord

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »

**A previous poster mentioned a stainless steel sleeve with finer thread.  I'd like to know more about it, and also a stainless dog and a star with matching threads ---*which are best and *who makes them.

I was the poster who said I make my own SS drag sleeves, however I do not make gear sleeves others here do offer them, I find the finer thread gear sleeve gives more adjustment....................Joe

Hi Joe,
Thanks. A finer thread gear sleeve looks like the best route, especially if I decided to do further customizing, but also enjoy finding out how well I can make the reel perform with its stock internals!
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »

Yes you can..................Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 11:50:34 PM »

I thought belleville washer was jus another name for the wavy washers that go )(
-steve
wfjord

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 04:33:00 AM »

I thought belleville washer was jus another name for the wavy washers that go )(
-steve

The belleville washers on the Shakespeare reel I have are cone shaped, not wavy. Looking back at the schematic there's a group of 6 of them in the drag stack listed as belleville springs. That's the only time I've found them on one of my reels. I also have some large ones on my lawn tractor.

here's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=5CbkW5LIG5KY_QbF_JyACg&q=belleville+drag+washers&oq=belle&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0l9.10306.13945..16443...2.0..3.3963.9561.0j1j1j2j7-1j2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0.utE_xrWuCQk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:46:49 AM by wfjord » Logged
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 04:39:02 AM »

Good post, and good explanation..........................Joe

oc1
Sensei

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »

The belleville washers on the Shakespeare reel I have are cone shaped, not wavy. Looking back at the schematic there's a group of 6 of them in the drag stack listed as belleville springs. That's the only time I've found them on one of my reels.

Got it.  I've called them the wrong thing several times here at AT.  Thank you.
-steve
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »

The belleville washers on the Shakespeare reel I have are cone shaped, not wavy. Looking back at the schematic there's a group of 6 of them in the drag stack listed as belleville springs. That's the only time I've found them on one of my reels.

Got it.  I've called them the wrong thing several times here at AT.  Thank you.
-steve

To keep it straight in own thoughts, I call the "cone" shaped ones bellvile, as in kinda bell shaped(symetrically-convex ?) and the other ones wavey or spring washers.
Wouldn't the belleville style(cone) distribute pressure more evenly than the wavey ones?

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »

Wouldn't the belleville style(cone) distribute pressure more evenly than the wavey ones?

They look like they should. Something I've noticed is bellevilles are usually reserved for the larger more powerful reels, while the smaller light duty reels have the wave or spring washers.  Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »

I don't think so Mike. There are heaver belleville's though....................Joe

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: