The Bantam 50

Started by mo65, June 14, 2016, 11:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

hurt locker

Thanks to both and also thanks Mo for opening this thread.

mo65

Quote from: hurt locker on August 22, 2016, 06:22:03 PM
Thanks to both and also thanks Mo for opening this thread.

You're welcome hurt locker. Here's a link to the schematic for your reel: http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_Bantam_500.pdf

And while we're at it...a link for the Bantam 50 too: http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/bantam-series/bantam-mag-50sg(87-124).pdf

steelhead_killer

One of my favorites! 
><)))">

thorhammer

You put it together backwards...the handle goes on the right side  ;D

steelhead_killer

Quote from: thorhammer on August 22, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
You put it together backwards...the handle goes on the right side  ;D

8) 8)
><)))">

mo65

Yet another one of my reels goes through some transformation...hey...variety is the spice of life! I never did like the three armed drag star on this reel. It seems to always position itself behind the handle arm, most annoying if you're someone who backs off drags for storage and likes to be able to make on the fly adjustments. I had an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500c four armed star that would slide right on this reel. Just for fun, lets add an aftermarket power handle, spool up some hi-vis 30lb. Stren, and take this thing catfishin'!
  The first photo shows the stock double paddle handle beside the new carbon fiber handle arm. The yellow arrow points to the area I scalloped. Since this carbon fiber arm is twice as thick as the stock arm, I didn't want to loose any threads on that handle nut. The red arrows indicate the new arm has a longer "throw"...ahh...perfect for stressing the gears! ;D
  The second pic shows the dreaded three arm star beside the 5500c 4 arm star I added. I prefer five arms, but four is better than three. That shim between them is needed behind the new star because it is a tad shorter than the stock piece.
  The third and fourth shots are the finished reel. Can't wait to hear that bait clicker run! 8)

oc1

Mike, or anyone.  Is the Bantam 50 smaller than the Bantam 100?

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on July 31, 2021, 04:54:49 AM

No, the 50 is larger, it's the size of an Ambassadeur 7000.

oc1

Thank you.  That explains why I never paid attention to them.

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on July 31, 2021, 01:58:00 PM
Quote from: oc1 on July 31, 2021, 04:54:49 AM

No, the 50 is larger, it's the size of an Ambassadeur 7000.

Yay !! so its the grand daddy of the Tranx 500
The Baja Guy

oc1

I think they are the grand daddy of all low profile reels with the possible exception of the Lew's Speed Spool.  That's where it all started.

thorhammer

Mike, great looking rig, nice key on the cork knob with rod grip.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on August 01, 2021, 01:43:31 PM
Mike, great looking rig, nice key on the cork knob with rod grip.

Thanks John! I'm liking these cork knobs more and more all the time...fantastic grip when wet...it's the reason they put cork on rods since day one. 8)