Abu Record 60 "grinding"

Started by theglove213, October 02, 2018, 02:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theglove213

So I have an Abu Record 60 and have noticed alot of grinding lately. The grinding takes pace when I engage the thumb bar to cast and when the line is cast, you hear and feel a grinding from inside the reel. What cog/gear/issue would be causing this? The noise only comes when free spool is engaged and the spool "sending line out". Any insight is greatly appreciated.

alantani

bearings are always the first thing to go out.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

theglove213

Even if its just with the spool engaging one way?

whalebreath

Quote from: theglove213 on October 02, 2018, 02:07:07 PMEven if its just with the spool engaging one way?
Yes-Abus are quite simply constructed issues are well known and fixes relatively easy.

theglove213

Fair enough! I'll strip it down and replace the bearings and go from there. From other research on this forum (gotta love it!) I noticed some say with similar issues it could be the pinion yolk that has been ground down and causing this? All of my Abus are exclusively used in fresh water and have never seen a day of salt in their life. They are Salmon chasers and for the odd large trout. 

mike1010

I had the pinion yoke issue.  The symptom was that the pinion did not fully engage the main gear.  If your problem is pinion-related, it sounds like a lack of full disengagement.  Maybe wear on the other side of the yoke?  It might be obvious on inspection.

theglove213

I think it's the pinion. I replaced all of the bearings and did a complete tear down; grinding still happened... I then checked out the yolk and saw a ton of play. I've ordered a new one and will keep everyone updated with the findings.

Mooki

Quote from: theglove213 on October 02, 2018, 02:00:47 AM
The grinding takes pace when I engage the thumb bar to cast and when the line is cast...
... The noise only comes when free spool is engaged and the spool "sending line out".
Just a thought, the Record has an IAR bearing inside the spool - whicg would explain the grinding only in one direction.
Not sure if you included this bearing in your statement about replacing all bearings...?
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

theglove213

Negatory... I didn't get the IAR bearing inside the spool. I did notice though that if I held the reel with the handle side STRAIGHT UP, there was little to sometimes no grinding when sending out line. When the reel was oriented normally or the handle side down, the grinding was back and even worse. I think it may have something to do a gear? Any other thoughts?

Mooki

Weird...
I realized yesterday that if it was indeed the needle bearing you would have the grinding only on retrieve though, so throw that idea away.
Also, the needle bearing was apparently not present in later models, so it would depend on the date of your reel if it at all exists.
Can't say I've any solid ideas. Might try to pop off the levelwind gear on the palming side, since there is a small bearing as well.
But, that wouldn't explain why it only grinds in certain positions.

Does it make a difference if you tighten the mechanical brake slightly?
I'm thinking that holding the handle downwards will make the spool press to that side, tightening the knob would sort of give some counter force.
If the spool play is minimal the reel position shouldn't really change the spool centering noticably.
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...