East Coast Mullet Run

Started by ReelDragJam, October 02, 2018, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelDragJam

The mullet have been moving through North East Florida the last couple weeks and brought out the bull reds, tarpon and blacktips in the surf.
Not all fisherman are liars, just some of us forget to bring our camera.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

steelfish

nice catch amigo.

are they good eating? I havent seen many recepies of bull reds
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Nice fish.  I have to do Florida some day.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Nice, how did you catch those? cut bait? bull minnows?
I see them schooling around Gulf Shores pier and casted a few different things at them but they were not interested.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Benni3

Very nice,,,,where you are you at  ;D

conchydong

Nice Red. There have been reports of Red tide in Palm Beach County, just north of me. I hope it doesn't have a great impact on the run as they move south.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ReelDragJam

I caught this one on Fernandina Beach. I was using a live 5-6" whiting hooked by the anal fin with a 4/0 circle hook leadered behind 2oz. pyramid sinker. Reds are a slot fish in Florida and this fish was way outside the size limit, but Reds are very tasty, definitely in my top 10. Hope I answered everyone's questions. It was definitely a nice catch, especially after my 10/0 got spooled after a 300yd drop.

Gobi King

Quote from: ReelDragJam on October 02, 2018, 10:55:30 PM
I caught this one on Fernandina Beach. I was using a live 5-6" whiting hooked by the anal fin with a 4/0 circle hook leadered behind 2oz. pyramid sinker. Reds are a slot fish in Florida and this fish was way outside the size limit, but Reds are very tasty, definitely in my top 10. Hope I answered everyone's questions. It was definitely a nice catch, especially after my 10/0 got spooled after a 300yd drop.

so a bottom presentation with a live bait,

I guess I can use a hard tail or a alewive instead.

Thanks a bunch!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

ReelDragJam

No probs. I like to drop between 2nd and 3rd sand bar then feeding about 3 feet of line to give bait a little range of movement. Those reds love whiting, lol. Up until that one, I never could break the 15lb mark, blew it out with a 35lb fish.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Nice fish!

I'm curious about the mullet run.  According to local bait shops, it is going on in New Jersey currently as well.  Interesting that it happens in Florida and NJ at the same time.  Although I have never seen live mullet in NJ, I'm told they are leaving the back bays and headed out the inlets into the ocean.  Do they go north, south, or seaward?  Where do they run to?