DAM Quick 110 Drag

Started by zenfisher, October 02, 2018, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenfisher

I've been feeding my vintage reel addiction and in the last 5 months have purchased online two 110s, a 220, 220N and 330.  A great upgrade from the plastic Zebcos Dad and I fished with in the good old days.  Downfall of buying online is cannot inspect the reels before buying.  The 110s should have a 3 part stack that makes up the drag.  The right side handle retrieve 110 came with only the silver metal washer under the red drag knob adjuster.  Missing was the top wavy tension washer and the bottom nylon washer.  What sane, rational person would carry these vintage old parts?  I googles, researched and reached out to gentleman Fred (foakes) of this board.  We communicated and a few days later, the needed parts arrived at my home.  These were no old parts taken from some broken reel, these parts look new and unused.  And thanks to Fred's kindness, no charge!  Dropped them into the drag stack and my old vintage 110 gets a new life and is fishable again.  Here are some pics.  Thank again, Fred.

My five DAM Quicks

Reel came with only the middle silver washer

The top wavy washer and bottom clear nylon washer courtesy of Fred

The three part drag stack in place.  Screw on the red drag knob adjuster and go fish.

I noticed on my 220, 220N and 330 have a different drag set up from the 110, no three part drag set into the top of the spool.  The drag looks like it is either set in or at the bottom part of the spool and not easily accessible from the top like the 110.  Please tell me this is correct so that I don't need to also hunt for parts for those three reels.

foakes

Yes, those other drag stacks are correct —

D.A.M. knew that an ultralight reel with likely 4 lb test — would not need a monster drag setup.

Nice lineup of reels!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on October 02, 2018, 09:31:44 PM
D.A.M. knew that an ultralight reel with likely 4 lb test — would not need a monster drag setup.

It's taken me some time to get over my "more is better" mentality concerning smaller reels. Drinking in a few double shots of reality, I've realized these ultralight reels already have enough smooth drag power to easily bust the mono lines they were designed to fish. They even have the power to fish modern braids...and if you really need to...greased carbontex drags make them lethal! My experiments prove the fact that one friction disc yields nearly as much power as two or three in a package this small. Probably something DAM Quick learned long before I did...HA!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on October 02, 2018, 11:11:07 PM
Quote from: foakes on October 02, 2018, 09:31:44 PM

It's taken me some time to get over my "more is better" mentality concerning smaller reels. Drinking in a few double shots of reality, I've realized these ultralight reels already have enough smooth drag power to easily bust the mono lines they were designed to fish. They even have the power to fish modern braids...and if you really need to...greased carbontex drags make them lethal! My experiments prove the fact that one friction disc yields nearly as much power as two or three in a package this small. Probably something DAM Quick learned long before I did...HA!! 8)

It is very easy for us folks from North America, or even Japan and Asia — to lose sight of the European rich history and heritage that spawned some of the greatest tackle brands of the twentieth century.  We become single-sighted, sometimes forgetting the great brands and how they were engineered.

Sweden, Germany, Italy, France, and the UK. 

Decades and generations before these products were introduced to the North American Market — they had been engineered, tested, improved, and used throughout the fjords, rivers, canals, lakes, inland and offshore waters of Europe.

I have been fortunate enough to study the history of some of the major brands, such as D.A.M., Mitchell, Garcia, ABU, Luxor, Pezon, C.A.P.,  and many others.  Mutual friends from Europe have shared with me many stories and documents about the innovators and engineers who designed and improved these reels over the last 60 or 70 years. 

They were not just inventors, or marketing folks — they were skilled clockmakers and machinists.  They all had one thing in common though —they loved to fish.  And every chance they got, they would be trying out their products, and finding ways to improve them.

Much like some of the skilled folks on our site — Tom from Cortez, Lou, and many others.

We owe these folks much — and most of them are gone now — but their products are still as good as they were decades ago — because they were made with the mindset of pride, craftsmanship, and longevity.

Sometimes, less is more...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Nice reels there they all look to be in pretty darn good shape better than most of mine. But I don't mind mine looking rough that way I don't feel bad adding another paint chip or to fishing it. 220 should have a little retaining washer you have to gently pry out out. Do this with a good little pick you pry up the little tabs gently. It should have stack with 3 metal washers and 2 friction ones. On my 221 same spool as the 220 I made some carbon fiber washers to replace the friction washers made the drag a lot smoother, I need to make a delrin one for under the spool as the original resistax one it has still makes the drag a little grabby and sticky.

basenjib123

Fred is a great guy.  He has helped me out more than once before.

Alto Mare

Fred has been  an asset to us all .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TJAndrews

Quote from: handyandy on October 12, 2018, 05:09:21 PM
Nice reels there they all look to be in pretty darn good shape better than most of mine. But I don't mind mine looking rough that way I don't feel bad adding another paint chip or to fishing it.

I couldn't agree more. I've always thought that the folks that designed and built these reels wanted them to be USED, not sitting pristine in some showcase somewhere. If they wanted show pieces, there would have been little need for all that engineering and strength that was put into them.

I"m a farmer, and I have a collectible tractor that I feel the same way about. It's 66 years old, and belonged to my grandfather. We keep it repaired, but it still wears the "work clothes" that came on it from the factory. The reason? It still has to work for a living, and is used almost every day. If I were to make it all pretty again, I'd be afraid to use it, and I'd lose one of my most valuable tools.

festus