Now Where Did I Leave That Screw?

Started by zenfisher, October 03, 2018, 04:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenfisher

Fred,

I copies these photos from one of your posts.  Very impressive setup and inventory.  The question is how do you remember where to find the right part when you need it.....Lol.  Charlie

P

foakes

Schematics, factory part number systems, plus the same brands grouped together helps a lot.

It becomes second nature after awhile.

Parts and reels need to be kept organized — otherwise I am working for the "system"...

Instead of the system working for me.

You cannot afford to work for the system, even if it is just an enjoyable pastime — because it turns into a time waster day after day.  It is too discouraging for me to not at least try to be a little more professional.

You don't see clutter in an operating room — if your reel jobs are approached in the same manner — there will be less frustration, more production, and less time spent looking for "that part" you know you have somewhere.

Everyone needs to develop a style they are comfortable with. 

As you stick around the site — you will learn a little bit from everyone.  And then you will develop your own techniques that work for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on October 03, 2018, 05:14:48 AM

You don't see clutter in an operating room

Best,

Fred

Hey Fred you also don't see the surgeons cleaning up after themselves.  :D  ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on October 03, 2018, 07:07:32 PM
Quote from: foakes on October 03, 2018, 05:14:48 AM

You don't see clutter in an operating room

Best, Fred

Hey Fred you also don't see the surgeons cleaning up after themselves.  :D  ;D

Very true, Counselor —

However, I didn't send out a $65,000 billing invoice — for a 3.5 hour procedure. 

So I had to clean up after myself! 😕😕😕😀😀😀

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

I didn't realize Dominick was an attorney.

Frank

Reel 224

I found a small spring and a detente in it, I don't know where it came from. It was on my reel bench and I put it in my parts tray.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 05, 2018, 03:44:12 AM
I found a small spring and a detente in it, I don't know where it came from. It was on my reel bench and I put it in my parts tray.

Joe

Wow I can't believe I lost that spring and detent from my Shimano tekota when I took the handle side apart in my garage last year, I looked and looked for it and now I find out it showed up in your garage.
This reel maintenance stuff is just getting crazier by the day.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handyandy

Fred what will all of us Dam Quick guys do when your unfortunately inevitably gone some day as we will all be at some point. I'm hoping your like tom hanks on green mile and live forever lol. Your parts collection and organization always amaze me. Your knowledge, help, and parts are great.

foakes

No issues, Andy —

Having bought plenty of inventories over the years of reel mechanics who passed on — shops closed — and others who have taken me under their wing in sharing parts and knowledge — there will come a day...

At that time — all parts, pieces, reels, rods, tools, and equipment will be divided out freely to Ohana members who could use them, as well as keep the tradition going of helping other solid contributing members on our site — or worthy newcomers...in learning how to "pay it forward".

In the meantime — it is fun and worthwhile for me to sell a few parts, give some away, help others with any little bits of knowledge or experience I might have — and continue servicing, repairing, and restoring old reels.  Since I have enough Penn, Mitchell, DAM Quick, and other parts and reels to last many lifetimes — I will continue working on those for friends as long as feasible.

At least for me, every new day is a gift to not be wasted. 

Planning is different from preparation — I try to prepare months or years ahead — and planning is generally only a day or two ahead.

I am grateful for all of the opportunities and challenges that I have had — and for those yet to come.

Reel parts and equipment are just a very small part of my Life expression.

When this chapter is finished, and the next one starts — we all will realize that our material "things" count for nothing.

Daily purpose is what it is all about, at least for me — as we try to help others with our various God-given talents and experience.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.