Decent day on the Big Pond

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 11, 2018, 09:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Got out yesterday. Not a super early start as I thought it would be foggy. The thought of making a 15mi run in duck soup was definitely not first on my list!
Especially without radar.  I do it at times but I'm definitely not crazy about it. Turns out the weather  was fairly decent and hit the local reefs first off. NOTHING!

Made the run to Fishers Is. NY, and hit the spot where we killed them last time on the Bunker spoons. NOTHING!

Hit another spot further down the Is, again with the bunker spoons and guess what? NOTHING!

Decided to try the tube n worn, now the tube n tail. Use to fish it a lot and its accounted for some really big fish. This type of fishing is SLOW. It can be boring if there's not much action as you slow troll under a knot. The past few years the Bass haven't seemed to respond to it as well so even though I carry a leadcore setup with it,  ... it hasn't seen much use.

Well that's what they wanted. Had to get the thing just about bumping bottom and pay dirt. First fish was a solid 25lbs. In the next hour, 4 more between 25 and 35 lbs. I'm happy now!
Decided to hit the first spot I had tried at the Island on the way back and bingo on the first pass. This fish was definitely a bigger lady and I'd drifted out to deeper water as she wasn't really cooperating.

A good 15/20 minutes latter it had finally tired and made it into the net. 39lbs on the Boga. Long and a bit on the leaner side but with a BIG tail. If it was fat, it would have easily made it into the mid 40's.

Dragged her for a minute and she popped right away and all was good. Came to the top  a few seconds later and rolled over on her back. Tried again but no luck so  part of it is  tonight's dinner.
The bigger ones, especially if they're strong fighters are tough on the release. No harm as all the others were put back to swim another day along with a few albies and some blues.

Got back to the marina and the guys had a salami grinder, chips and a soda for me. Couldn't talk them into cleaning the boat and the fish and driving me home though.

6 bass, and all in all, a decent day,  ..  Lou

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

David Hall

Very nice day on the pond Lou.  It got you out of the shop and thinking about fish, and you got fish!
I look forward to when my good days turn just a wee bit better.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave

mo65

Way ta go Lou...you figured 'em out...great fishin'! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

54bullseye

Nice fish Lou !!  Do you take charters or just for your enjoyment ?   John Taylor

STRIPER LOU

John, its just recreational. I needed one more element to complete for my 6 pac license and never got around to it. Life got in the way.

I fish as much as I can and will even go several times a week during the new moon and correct tides. Its been a tough year as most of the fish are far to the east. We try not to give them too much rest!

Striped Bass fishing has always been my passion and I never seem to get tired of it.

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Benni3

Really great job lou,,,we get over pressed fishing areas here too,,it's not easy,,,,but you made it happen :D maybe one day I could catch some shad and bring them up there to you,,,alive  ;D