Tuna report from the Tomahawk 10/5-8!

Started by pjstevko, October 05, 2018, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm headed out of San Diego aboard the Tomahawk late tonight for a 2.5 day trip targeting YFT, BFT and yellowtail. Hopefully I'll have a better trip report than the last time I tried to go on a trip like this...... Standby for pics.....

Gfish

Good fishin, or not, have fun! Been a dry spell since April for me, aside from a few scattered snappers and other finned critters I didn't wanna keep(a trumpet fish?). There's just somethin about gettin out there, it's the happiest I am all week.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishy247

Right on PJ! You should be set up pretty good on the moon cycle. The BFT counts have just been going up the past few days. I hope ya get em good!

Mike

Steve-O

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

I hear big swells from the west and south are coming.  Enjoy!

pjstevko

Boats are returning with limits of skippies and yellowfin so hopefully it's a good sign of things to come!

Jigtosser

I'm sure you're on your way...
Go get um PJ...
Reports to come... ???
Dan

pjstevko

We're headed in to refill the bait tanks and then head to San Clemente to hunt for bluefin..... The reason we need to restock bait is because the skippies were all over us....but then we found the yellowfin under some two tone dolphins..... I scored two/3 skippies which I gave away and this one nice yellowfin.... It's my biggest to date!

Bryan Young

You're on that trip?  Epic fishing trip.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

Awesome PJ...I hope you got a 2 speed with you? You may need it. Should be a hoot.

Tim

pjstevko

Here's my official report.......

Short version: I caught 6-8 skippies and the 1 yellowfin (20-25#).....(I did better than some who only land skipjack all trip!)

Extended version........Fishing was ok on the first day with tons of action on the skippies. Late in the afternoon we found a school of two tone dolphin with active yellowfin underneath them. The first one hit the trolling rig and with a little chum we get them to the surface for fast paced action. I got mine on bait as did most people but I think a few were landed with coltsnipers. We got 44 yellowfin out of that stop. After we lost track of the school the captain called for a meeting in galley to pose a question to the group.....Stay at the Coronado's and fish skippies/yellowfin or head to Clemente for Bluefin?????  The group decided BLUEFIN......From Coronado we headed back to the bait barge in SD to reload on sardines and catch mackerel then steam north to Clemente to fish the night and early morning bite for Bluefin....The ride north was rough as he!! and we never marked a school until around 10am! The Bluefin fishing was tough....The entire boat went 2 out of 4.....Not even the kite or balloon got hit.....One guy lost a big one 50ft from the boat but redeemed himself later in the day with the one in the pics....

The trip sponsor was  Studio A. Bachar (https://studio-abachar.myshopify.com ) and provided everyone with a framed print of your choice (6 prints to choose from) plus a hat. I picked a yellowfin tuna print and am going to print the details of the trip on the back. I think from now on I'll buy a print from him for everyone of the local fish I catch so next up hopefully will be yellowtail in the winter/spring....

Overall it was a great trip and the captain and crew were great as was the food.....I'll definitely do things a little different next time but this was a nice taste of SD sportfishing...

On Monday night I cooked up the prime pieces for the wife and I then froze the rest to serve with company later....Monday nights dinner was seared fatty tuna belly over rice with roasted root veggies!!!

pjstevko

pics

pjstevko

more pics