fighting a giant without harness

Started by ksong, October 05, 2018, 03:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

My friend Ajichi san came to Cape Cod from Japan with sole purpose of fighting 200 kg giant with a popping rod.
He almost landed 400 lb giant using 7'7" prototype Carpenter rod on 40 plus lb drag.

He brought the giant to the boat after fighting 30 minutes, but it dove before casting harpoon.
After 20 more minutes fight, the leader line got chafed by teeth of the giant and we lost the giant.
while watch him fight, I thought the rod would break as he fight on high sticking position, but the rod survived.

We are not familiar with his style of fight on high sticking, but apparently it worked.

ksong

conchydong

wow, I was waiting for that rod to shatter. The technology of fishing rods and spinning reels, today is incredible.

Rivverrat

That is very impressive.

Sure would like a look at the material in this rod through a microscope whle under the stress of high sticking.

Cant say I've witnessed any thing like this before. I do have to wonder how many cycles the rod could do like this.

Regardless many rods would not survive this type of use one time... Jeff

David Hall

Ron Jones

That's how I learned to fish. I've been yelled at ever since by people telling me I'm going to break a rod, hasn't happened yet.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 06, 2018, 02:40:13 AM
That's how I learned to fish. I've been yelled at ever since by people telling me I'm going to break a rod, hasn't happened yet.
Ron

You are one lucky feller if these rods your using are grphite... Jeff

ksong

Here is a video of fighting a giant by Ajichi san using prototype Carpenter rod in Cape Cod.
He fought 50 minutes and he almost landed the giant as the giant chewed the line near the boat.

Ron Jones

[/quote]

[/quote]

Many of them are. Luck either has nothing to do with it, or I get lucky a lot!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 06, 2018, 10:11:02 PM

Many of them are. Luck either has nothing to do with it, or I get lucky a lot!
The Man

We are all lucky that The Man is lucky.  

No doubt about it!

Steve

ksong

They fight in high sticking position. Instead of telling them not to fight in high sticking position, they develop rods to fight in high sticking position. Not many rods can survive in high sticking position on 40  - 50 lb drag.

Rivverrat

Are these blanks a composite mix or straight graphite ?

boon

I don't get it if I'm honest. They spend that much on gear, then a whole lot more on getting to the point they are connected to these fish, then they fight them in a provably bad way. I'm not buying the "it's a habit" thing either, I have literally made changes to my style in the duration of a fight on the skipper's advice. If they're building their rods to deal with high-sticking then they're probably making them worse than they could be if they just took 10 seconds to not fight the fish like this.

Just take half a wind more and don't point the rod at the sky. Easy.

Rivverrat

Quote from: boon on November 08, 2018, 01:41:10 AM

Just take half a wind more and don't point the rod at the sky. Easy.

I agree. But there is I think use for a graphite rod with this type of durability.