113H Sideplate Screw Question

Started by Jim Layton, October 05, 2018, 08:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Layton

I recently bought a used 113H with a graphite half frame. This reel has 8 sideplate screws on each side. One screw ties the sideplate to a metal crossbar. The other 7 screws tie the sideplate to the graphite frame. The screws for the frame are not the same as the screw for the crossbar - they have a cut on the tip for self-tapping and they have a different (coarse) pitch.

The online schematics I found at Mystic and Penn show the same Penn part number 39-9 at all 8 locations. I think I have an earlier version of this reel, before Penn started using threaded inserts in the frame (read about this elsewhere on this awesome site) . I know for a fact the 39-9 screw works for the crossbar on this reel but not the frame.

I need a replacement for one of the frame screws. Can anyone tell me the part number for this screw or, even better, point me to the correct schematic?

akfish

Unfortunately, you got one of the least desirable 113Hs. The wood screw-like side plate screws are meant to hold the graphite frame tightly -- but the frame holes strip out very easily so that the screws don't hold anything. If there's any way you can get a frame with brass inserts, I'd really recommend it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

scrinch

Jim, I recently replaced the graphite half-frame on one of my 114h reels. It has the same coarse self-tapping screws. I'd be happy to send you a couple of the screws I took out if you're not going to replace your frame anytime soon.

Jim Layton

Thanks so much scrinch! I sent you my address via pm.

Akfish - good advice no doubt but I got this reel pretty cheap and the frame threads are good for now. I'll see if I can keep the reel going. A new frame will be the backup plan.

Thanks again guys.

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Jim Layton on October 05, 2018, 10:25:01 PM
Thanks so much scrinch! I sent you my address via pm.

Akfish - good advice no doubt but I got this reel pretty cheap and the frame threads are good for now. I'll see if I can keep the reel going. A new frame will be the backup plan.

Thanks again guys.

Jim, in case you want to stock the frame for your backup plan.. :  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-SENATOR-4-0-113H-CLEAN-USED-HALF-FRAME-PENN-PART-183-113H-MADE-IN-USA/372463371384?epid=1224621365&hash=item56b88c0478:g:y7sAAOSwS9BbjK4S:sc:USPSPriority!95123!US!-1

Rob

Jim Layton

Rob - thanks for the heads up and that's a good looking frame. I'll keep it in mind for now.

Jim Layton

Quote from: scrinch on October 05, 2018, 09:39:06 PM
Jim, I recently replaced the graphite half-frame on one of my 114h reels. It has the same coarse self-tapping screws. I'd be happy to send you a couple of the screws I took out if you're not going to replace your frame anytime soon.

The screws came in the mail today - thanks so much!

scrinch

Glad they made it there this time. I lost those screws and a house key last week after taping them to index cards and sending them in plain white envelopes. I guess the USPS equipment doesn't deal well with metal in flat envelopes.