alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial 113H Sideplate Screw Question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 09, 2018, 10:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 113H Sideplate Screw Question  (Read 306 times)
Jim Layton

« on: October 05, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »

I recently bought a used 113H with a graphite half frame. This reel has 8 sideplate screws on each side. One screw ties the sideplate to a metal crossbar. The other 7 screws tie the sideplate to the graphite frame. The screws for the frame are not the same as the screw for the crossbar - they have a cut on the tip for self-tapping and they have a different (coarse) pitch.

The online schematics I found at Mystic and Penn show the same Penn part number 39-9 at all 8 locations. I think I have an earlier version of this reel, before Penn started using threaded inserts in the frame (read about this elsewhere on this awesome site) . I know for a fact the 39-9 screw works for the crossbar on this reel but not the frame.

I need a replacement for one of the frame screws. Can anyone tell me the part number for this screw or, even better, point me to the correct schematic?
akfish

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »

Unfortunately, you got one of the least desirable 113Hs. The wood screw-like side plate screws are meant to hold the graphite frame tightly -- but the frame holes strip out very easily so that the screws don't hold anything. If there's any way you can get a frame with brass inserts, I'd really recommend it.

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska
scrinch

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »

Jim, I recently replaced the graphite half-frame on one of my 114h reels. It has the same coarse self-tapping screws. I'd be happy to send you a couple of the screws I took out if you're not going to replace your frame anytime soon.
Jim Layton

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »

Thanks so much scrinch! I sent you my address via pm.

Akfish - good advice no doubt but I got this reel pretty cheap and the frame threads are good for now. I'll see if I can keep the reel going. A new frame will be the backup plan.

Thanks again guys.
JoseCuervo

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »

Thanks so much scrinch! I sent you my address via pm.

Akfish - good advice no doubt but I got this reel pretty cheap and the frame threads are good for now. I'll see if I can keep the reel going. A new frame will be the backup plan.

Thanks again guys.

Jim, in case you want to stock the frame for your backup plan.. :  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-SENATOR-4-0-113H-CLEAN-USED-HALF-FRAME-PENN-PART-183-113H-MADE-IN-USA/372463371384?epid=1224621365&hash=item56b88c0478:g:y7sAAOSwS9BbjK4S:sc:USPSPriority!95123!US!-1

Rob
Jim Layton

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »

Rob - thanks for the heads up and that's a good looking frame. I'll keep it in mind for now.
Jim Layton

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »

Jim, I recently replaced the graphite half-frame on one of my 114h reels. It has the same coarse self-tapping screws. I'd be happy to send you a couple of the screws I took out if you're not going to replace your frame anytime soon.

The screws came in the mail today - thanks so much!
scrinch

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Glad they made it there this time. I lost those screws and a house key last week after taping them to index cards and sending them in plain white envelopes. I guess the USPS equipment doesn't deal well with metal in flat envelopes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: