CAN’T SEPARATE 2 PIECE ROD

Started by Cor, October 06, 2018, 11:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I broke the tip section on one of my regular rods and to consider how to repair it best needed to split it apart.    I have had stuck rods in the past as well as very stuck ones, but this one was impossible!

I tried every way known to me but to no avail and after 2 days decided to use a hammer...... did not work either!

After that I had one choice left, split the graphite with my Stanley knife. That obviously did work, but certainly not easily.   It looked like the material had fused together, there was some moisture in the join, could have been penetrating oil which I also tried.

The little slither of a tube that you see on the photo (end of female part) I still had to prize of with my knife ???

I separated that rod last maybe 6 month ago!

Worst is I went and checked my other 2 piece rods and found another similar one that is also stuck!

Any good ideas how to do this?
Cornelis

jurelometer

A bag of ice chips around the ferrule joint works every time for me for the type of ferrules in your photo. Takes about 15 minutes.  But I never had a ferrule  joined  for more than a month.

A tiny bit of paraffin wax on the male part of a glass ferrule when you put the rod together helps keep a loose ferrule from slipping and makes it easier to disassemble a tight ferrule.  Always a good idea to take them apart  every week or two if you store them assembled and use them a lot.

My experience with stuck glass ferrules is mostly with fly rods.   YMMV.

-J

Shark Hunter

A little trick I learned from my Son. Before joining a two piece rod. Wipe the male section against your nose before joining.

It works.

Life is Good!

Cor

I had to ruin what was left of the old tip.    Am trying to source a new one but have to find a substitute as it's a Composite Development rod from New Zealand.    I would have to import it and that is just way to expensive.   In the past I used a Okuma Caspian 11 ft tip section which was a near perfect fit, just marginally softer then I would like.

In the meantime I have also started a repair job using a previously broken tip.   Have already sleaved it, glued the pieces together,  wraped the repaired sleave with 30 lb braid, and it is now drying covered with Flexcote.

It's nice to be retired!

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 07, 2018, 07:44:48 AM
A little trick I learned from my Son. Before joining a two piece rod. Wipe the male section against your nose before joining.

It works.

Yes I heard snot works.   ;D  It's probably the bit of oil from your skin.

Quote from: jurelometer on October 06, 2018, 04:26:36 PM
A bag of ice chips around the ferrule joint works every time for me for the type of ferrules in your photo. Takes about 15 minutes.  But I never had a ferrule  joined  for more than a month.

A tiny bit of paraffin wax on the male part of a glass ferrule when you put the rod together helps keep a loose ferrule from slipping and makes it easier to disassemble a tight ferrule.  Always a good idea to take them apart  every week or two if you store them assembled and use them a lot.

My experience with stuck glass ferrules is mostly with fly rods.   YMMV.

-J

This was actually the first trick I tried, 3 times but to no avail.   Friend said "wrong ice, it always works", I went to collect some ice from him but no joy.   Worst is that I have another one stuck and this far it has not budged with the ice trick either.    At least this one can stay the way it is.

Lesson learned, separate rods from time to time!
Cornelis

Jeri

For extreme cases, have used dry ice in the past, worked a treat - but the core secret to separating stuck joints is to get the pull to act truly in the line of the joint, any side movement tends to split the ferrule section.

Less extreme problems, and we get this a lot with tourist anglers at the end of summer holidays - is to tie the base section to a tow bar on the back of a car, but leave a slack length in the soft rope. Then grab the upper section, and with a jerk type pull, pull the upper section - horizontally to the ground. This method works well, but only releases in very small increments, and then you have to be careful when the joint finally does let go, as the base section then drops to the floor!!!!

Even better solution, is not have the problem to start with, spray 'low silicone' furniture polish on the male and female sections. High silicone sprays are just too slippery, and sections can fly apart when casting. Low silicone, like 'Mr. Min' from your wife's cupboard works best, as nothing sticks to silicone.

Hope that helps

Cor

Sounds nearly as extreme as my "hammer" solution which did not work but will try in a very extreme case. :o

Don't know if you are familiar with the Graphcast series of rods, but they always seem to turn slightly out of alignment when fishing and I end up pushing them tighter and re aligning the guides.
Cornelis

oc1

I don't mind ferrules being stuck if they are stuck in the right place.  If it is a pre-epoxy rod (and some post-epoxy rods), you can heat the ferrule to soften the ferrule cement and remove the whole thing.  Better than cracking the blank.
-steve

bill19803

Back in  the  days before recorded  history  I  used  to watch  my   dad   grasp a    rod   stuck   together. hold  it  behind  his  knees  and  kneel with   arms  against
knees  and  kneel.  generates a  lot  of      force that  way.  But  i   dont use  2 pc    rods   so  not an  expert  on the  technique

Dominick

Quote from: bill19803 on October 07, 2018, 09:48:14 PM
Back in  the  days before recorded  history  I  used  to watch  my   dad   grasp a    rod   stuck   together. hold  it  behind  his  knees  and  kneel with   arms  against
knees  and  kneel.  generates a  lot  of      force that  way.  But  i   dont use  2 pc    rods   so  not an  expert  on the  technique

That's the way my father and uncles did it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

boon

Use a piece of bicycle inner tube, or rubber dishwashing gloves. Gives you an unbelievable increase in grip on the rod.

Jeri

Quote from: Cor on October 07, 2018, 08:59:55 AM
Sounds nearly as extreme as my "hammer" solution which did not work but will try in a very extreme case. :o

Don't know if you are familiar with the Graphcast series of rods, but they always seem to turn slightly out of alignment when fishing and I end up pushing them tighter and re aligning the guides.

Wasn't greatly impressed with the whole range of rods and blanks when I first saw them at the Johannesburg Trade Show, a number of the blanks exploded when we were testing them with simple easy bends.

Never been a great fan of parallel joints on high price blanks, some of the very best blanks we get for long surf fishing have a tapered joint - expensive to manufacture, but have clients still using and seperating the rods after near 15 years of hard use. Parallel carbon joints have to be tight to start off with and then obviously prone to the problem you are having, as through a couple of years of use, the carbon wears, and the joints become seriously loose, and either break or seperate during casting.

Fortunate here in Namibia, where we can travel around with 1 piece rods everywhere, so it is not unusul to see 14' or 15' 1 piece rods.

Glos

and once you do get it apart, wax the male part with parafin to prevent future problems of the same kind
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

CapeFish

I have had it happen a few times. Usually wrapping rubber tube around gives you enough purchase. When that didn't work I actually sprayed the joint with penetrating oil and it then came unstuck using the rubber grip trick. Another trick is to tape dowels to either part of the rod to enable better grip

Cor

If this was a competition........ ;D ;D
.....and the winner is............"CapeFish with the tape dowels to either part of the rod to enable better grip trick" with the slight modification that I had to put the one end in a vice, the pistol grip helped because it was very tight and I could twist it.

This was iro my second stuck rod.   I have a feeling the first one would not have come apart that way it was just solid!

Thanks everyone for the tips, it refreshed my memory and helped get one rod loose!
Cornelis

scrinch

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 07, 2018, 07:44:48 AM

It works.

I learned that trick from my stepfather when I was a kid. Just to clarify...on the outside...not the inside...of the nose!   ;)