Penn 113 black

Started by myronf, October 06, 2018, 02:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myronf

Hello Alan,

Recently I pimped-out an old Jigmaster and it was a lot of fun.  Not cheap, but getting some kind of ROI was not my motivation.  People piss their money away in countless
other ways, but it seems like everybody "advises" against old-reel mods (because it's pricey).  I don't get it.  Anyway, I've got a very old black Penn 113 (4/0) that my grandfather and father owned.  I LOVE the low-gear ratio and would like to beef it up over the winter.  I'll use it for winching home-guard yellowtail out of the rocks and kelp and for other big bottom fish.  Will probably work well for trolling as well.  The 113h gets 99% of the 4/0 "attention", so finding online (and stainless) 113 parts is difficult. Question:  What 113h parts, if any, can be used in it?  Gear-sleeve?  Bridge?  Tiburon frame?  Spool?  And for a 5+1 drag stack, is there any special ordering necessary (like the Bryan Young Jigmaster set)?

Thanks,

RowdyW

For a black 113 4/0 you can use a SS gear sleeve & SS dog for that model. Not much from a 113H will fit except the stand & posts. A Tib or Accurate frame from a 113H will interchange but aftermarket plates won't. For drags you can set it up with 5 CF drag washers 2 eared washers & 3 keyed washers from a longbeach 60 or 65. You can build a narrow version by using a 113H YTS frame & longbeach 66 spool. Or you can widen it with a 113HLW Tib frame & lb 68 spool. There is a lot of interchange with longbeach parts but not H parts. Also Welcome.           Rudy

alantani

it was because of the old 113 that i actually started making stainless steel gear sleeves.  it has a jigmaster gear sleeve in it that rounds off all the time.  for someone that had a brand new reel, there is a stepwise progression that i would typically recommend.

1 - a complete tear down and scrub with a grease toothbrush.  add grease to all the screws.

2 - change out the drag stack from "1+3" to "1+5."  you need five of the #6-60 drag washers and extra metal washers,  plus a carbontex drag washer that normally goes under the main gear of the jigmaster.  for metal washers, all stainless steel will work.  remember, though, that the old brass metal drag washers were just ever so slightly thinner and work just as well.  if you have those, don't toss them.  it's a pretty tight fit to get all the washers into the 113 main gear.  use brass if you have them, or just use stainless and make sure the last slotted metal washer is seated properly.

3 - a stainless steel gear sleeve. they are nice and will hold up longer.  under alot of pressure, even these will round off.  

4 - a new handle.  i still like the stock penn jigmaster 24-56 power handle for this reel.  at $20, i think it's an excellent value.  there are also lots of custom handles priced at $40 and up.

5 - an aluminum spool.  if your reel already has one, great!  if it does not, stick with the old brass spool until it blows out and then change it out.  or if you find a great bargain on aluminum, go for it!

6 - frames.  penn made an aluminum frame for this this reel.  tiburon does as well.  do this last.  there are no plain 113 aluminum side plates.  

hope this helps!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

myronf

Thanks guys!  I did realize the gear sleeve was the same diameter as the Jigmaster when I tried the 4/0 larger star on my hottodded JM reel.  It fit!  The fat handle on my "new" Jigmaster made it difficult to adjust the drag using a tiny stock star.  The bigger one is much better. 
I can live with black sideplates on the 113.  The oxblood red just "clashes" with other colored upgrades.  You mentioned the 113h stainless dogs fit.  You weren't referring to the entire bridge assembly, by chance?

RowdyW

The 113 4/0 black uses a 15-99 dog & a 3-113 bridge assembly. As I said very few parts are interchangeable between the 113 & 113H. They are two different reels.  ;)

Darin Crofton

Quote from: RowdyW on October 06, 2018, 03:17:18 PM
For a black 113 4/0 you can use a SS gear sleeve & SS dog for that model. Not much from a 113H will fit except the stand & posts. A Tib or Accurate frame from a 113H will interchange but aftermarket plates won't. For drags you can set it up with 5 CF drag washers 2 eared washers & 3 keyed washers from a longbeach 60 or 65. You can build a narrow version by using a 113H YTS frame & longbeach 66 spool. Or you can widen it with a 113HLW Tib frame & lb 68 spool. There is a lot of interchange with longbeach parts but not H parts. Also Welcome.           Rudy

Rudy, If you use a YTS frame on a 113, I'm assuming a Newell YTS 113h Aluminum spool won't work? That's why you said a 66LB spool? Thanks, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

RowdyW

Darin, the 113 4/0 with black plates is a different model then the 113H. The black 113 is similar to the Longbeach series of reels. The 113H is in a class of it's own. The Newell 113h YTS spool only fits the 113H with YTS width frames of the Penn brand.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: RowdyW on October 10, 2018, 10:13:26 PM
Darin, the 113 4/0 with black plates is a different model then the 113H. The black 113 is similar to the Longbeach series of reels. The 113H is in a class of it's own. The Newell 113h YTS spool only fits the 113H with YTS width frames.
Thanks for the response, Rudy. I did realize there was a overall difference, but making sure about the spool. I'd like to build a 113 low-geared tank, but I like a narrow reel. I found a Tiburon 113 2.2" narrow frame in great condition and a nos LB66 spool, and I'm guessing that would be a good start?

RowdyW

If you get a LB 66,67, or 68 parts reel cheap I can tell you how to update a black 113 from 2.0:1 to 2.4:1 using a combination of 113 & LB parts. It's the cheapest way to update the gear ratio and still have plenty of grunt.

Darin Crofton

Well, I have two 67's, a 65 and a 60LB. Def want a grunt of a reel, this will be fun, thanks Rudy!