New Guy over in the sf peninsula and problems with 2 long beach 60's

Started by Reel Newbie, September 16, 2018, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

Hello all! I have been a long time lurker on this site ever since I first bought a penn 309 at a garage sale for 3 bucks. Using Alan's amazing tutorial on the 209, I quickly learned how to put the thing back together. The posts on this site are very informative on reel topics that you don't usually find on google. So far I have acquired at least 5 more penns and other older reels. I've so far gained  a collection of a 140 squidder with newell spool, an abu 6501c3, 309, peerless 9, and 200 surfmaster, 2 longbeach 60s, DAM 5001, and a few other freshwater reels.

On to the next topic, I have acquired two long beach 60's for a steal of $10. It seemed like a good deal, but after cleaning and reassembly, the 3 piece spools seem to be wobbly and there appears to be at least some rubbing against the side plates. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

swill88

Good question, and welcome Reel Newbie.
Troubleshooting with a known 'true' spool will help narrow down the problem.
As for fixing the spools others may chime in.
Steve

Benni3

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on September 17, 2018, 01:06:16 AM
Welcome.  An aluminum spool is probably the way to go.

Aluminum 29L-85 spools are hard to find and he might have to use a chromed brass 29M-60 spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

If the spools are three piece, and there was mono on it, they are most likely toast and need to be replaced....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Welcome!
Make sure the bushings and, or, the spool shafts aren't worn-out. If those are ok and the side-plates are even(i.e., same distance apart around the whole circumference), your spool's 'er probably tweaked, inwhich case Bill's right; they're toast.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!