Main Menu

Elk Tenderloin

Started by Hardy Boy, October 07, 2018, 05:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Well after the hunt (see 3 Generation Elk thread). I cooked up some elk tenderloin. Marinaded in some wine for a few hours, seasoned with rub for a few hours, sear, finish in a wine and homemade blackberry jam reduction and serve. It was a big hit and very tasty.

Cheers:

Todd

Todd

David Hall

Fantastic, I don't think it gets any better than that.

Maxed Out

Nice going chef Todd. You are a man of many hats and now add island culinary expert to the list

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

El Pescador

Damn Todd! 

That looks great and I'm sure smells even better!!!!

I've never had Elk Back-strap, did have Antelope back-strap one time - Just under rare!  WOW!!!

I have enjoyed BBQ'd Elk Rump Roast - FANTASTIC to say the least.

You kids are taking good care of yourselves up there!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

That looks very good, Todd. I'm guessing the wine, besides taste it is also used to tenderize, Is the meat tender or tough?

I never had Elk, but wouldn't mind giving it a shot if the presentation looked as good as yours does.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jigmaster501

Elk is great eating meat, not tough at all....

David Hall

like everything else some I have had is exceptional, some not so much.  one of the keys to it is don't overcook it, it has to be on the rare side, these animals in their native habitat are true athletes and very low in fat.  overcooking makes them dry and well you might as well make jerky out of them if your not going to cook them properly.
the second key is the animal itself, depending on what it has been feeding on for the last few months of its life, some plants enhance the flavor and some don't.  we cannot control this factor and getting one is hard enough without trying to limit ourselves by where the beast lives and what has it been eating.  I have 16 California elk points and still haven't drawn a tag.  if and when I do I hope that I am still able to hike after it and Im sure not going to worry myself with what its been eating.
the ones picture above are cooked perfectly.

scrinch

That looks fantastic, Todd!!

ChileRelleno

Dammit Man, that looks delectable.  :o
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."