New reel disassembling and subsequent change in sound & feel.

Started by Glos, October 08, 2018, 08:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glos

My question is, how much really things change with that slight rumble and ticking after reassembling such reels, new or very lightly used reels, which rules out the possibility of wear and tear in the parts ?
Which exactly ( change in the ) parameters is the main cause of those changes and how to avoid, or even better, return those in the original state ?
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Rivverrat

I'll make an attempt to answer.

First off it is good to have a schematic of the reel. Not having this take pictures as you begin disassembling.

These two things can go a long ways helping parts to get back in their proper place & order.

happyhooker

Not completely sure what you are asking.  If a reel seems to work after a re-assembly, but just doesn't sound right, it could be several things.  Sometimes, having a clip or washer turned the wrong away will do it.  Shims left out or need to be re-shimmed, especially on some Mitchell spinning reels.  Or, a loose shim left inside.  Antireverse not reinstalled properly.  Yes, a schematic will help. but on disassembly, you need to watch carefully what is coming off and how, taking pictures, making, notes/drawings, etc.

Frank

Glos

yes, all said is true,
but there is also the case of every item going back the right way and it still doesnt return to the old - new feel..
One of the assumptions by some, that I`ve read on this theme is that often and inevitably it is the rotor nut that changes position of the pinnion when screwed back on
and that nut needs very careful and always diferent amount of pressure, just because with every unscrewing it is slightly different, rotor - pinnion - nut - shim position even if there was the same exact pressure amount and number of turns made..

Glos

..and also, to clarify the first part of the question , does that sort of change, really makes the reel worse for wear..

exp2000

Glos

Quote from: exp2000 on October 09, 2018, 11:15:57 AM
Read this thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24546.msg275626#msg275626
~
I did, magnificent topic
and I spreaded it here in serbian forums
it covers a lot of the things I ask here about, but there is more to be figured, hopefully.
One thought I just had, is that, graphite bodied reels with use get ever so slightly misshapen in all those pressured areas, it is a fraction of a fraction of a milimeter, but when it happens all over the critical points it eventualy shows, in that "sounding" different way..

sdlehr

Maybe the different sounds/feels are from different lubricants than the original - or too much/too little lube - or just a different type....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

exp2000

One thing that can make a noticeable difference in spinning reels is the lubrication applied to the roller clutch bearing.

Since the rollers do not turn, the inner sleeve skates over the surface of the rollers.

Grease will lessen the friction but may sabotage the operation of the clutch as these rely on friction to perform properly.

If we just use something like corrosion X to lubricate the roller clutch you will get optimal performance but the result is more noise.

The gearbox in spinning reels will act as an acoustic chamber to amplify this noise, especially on larger sizes.
~

Glos

yet again, both replies are true
we got it nailed
that "feel" part is more important and it really does depend and change with lubricants combined with slight displacement as a result of reassembling

and finnaly, I wouldn`t call those reels any worse for wear, just sounding and feeling a tad less smooth.

P.S. One should always let the gears work their way in, after changing the positions of the teeths, and then judge the overall result.

Glos

Glos

I`ve resolved mine
https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/741828-assembled-in-china/
but I do have to admit that those 20 interventions did take a tiny bit out of it in the feel and sound departement,  ...still, it is settled now.