Deja vu...and we're back!!!

Started by Porthos, October 17, 2018, 07:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Arrived at the landing on 10/9, found a parking spot, got a cart, and proceeded to unload my bags and rods when I realized that I did the "2014 Alan Tani Maneuver"...I had forgotten to put my main reel bag in the car. All my conventionals were nicely packed BUT sitting underneath my work table 40 miles away.  ::)

11 rods were with me but only four reels...my spinners:

1. Okuma CD65 on Quantum BROS70M  - 20 lb
2. Daiwa BG6500 on Daiwa STW70MHS - 40 lb
3. Fin Nor Lethal 100 on Tsunami TSTBS-J 701XH - 60 lb
4. Fin Nor Lethal 100 on  Daiwa STJ70XHFS - 80 lb (this Fin Nor was later switched out with a Quantum Cabo 100 that Georgia Mike brought)

All the spinners were spooled with solid braid hollow connected to their respective short mono top shots. Found that nail knots, nubs, and glue gave me the connection profile for casting that I like for the amount of material and effort I was willing and happy to commit to.

Well...I had intentions of doing an "all spinner" multi-day someday, just not on this 8-day. The 1:20 hour round trip, losing my parking spot, and the boat leaving me at the dock weren't in my favor at all so it meant this WAS going to be THAT trip. BUT...this was the Alan Tani Charter, so chances of more gear being available than what could be used was high based on all the previous years' charters, and that was the case. Guys were offering to loan me reels left and right so I took up two offers of a Makaira 8 setup on an 8' rod (50 lb rig) from Big Ed and a Talica 25 reel from Tommy that I could mount on my Daiwa VIP6455XXH (100 lb rig). In the back of my mind, I was going to minimize reliance on the loaner gear because this guy named "Murphy" and his "Law" always have a high probability of showing up...more on this later.

Given the path of Sergio, Capt. Mike pointed the SOA towards San Clemente Island, so our first three days were spent in U.S. waters chasing BFT. We managed 15 of the "smaller" models; tried trolling for the big ones but none bit. At midday Thursday, the SOA was turned SSE towards Mexican waters heading to The 13 with stops along the way. En-route, we encountered paddies while still in U.S. waters at which one yielded good sized Dodo's; I only managed a bonito on the Okuma, but at least the skunk was off.

After that, we got into fish that was at times WFO. The Bonito, Skippy's, peanut YFT, and rat YT were all C&R'd. My first keeper was a YT caught on the Cabo 80 lb yoyo-ing a dodo-colored Candy Bar. Except for the Okuma (which stay racked for the remainder of the trip), I dropper-looped and flylined with all the spinning rigs and the Talica. The Talica I used intermittently for two days, and then it stayed in the rack. Though it was more work since I wasn't able to use the rail, the spinners worked out just fine. My biggest YFT and my one Dodo were caught flylining on the Fin Nors.

Regarding Murphy and his law: on the fifth morning, I tried bouncing a skippy during a WFO YFT bite and snapped the Tsunami below the fourth guide...totally my bad. With the Tsunami snapped, I removed the BG6500 fron the Daiwa STW70MHS and reconfigured with the 80 lb Fin Nor with a 50 lb fluoro leader and dialed the drag down from 26 lbs to 16lbs. This was the setup that landed my one and only Dodo.

Later that day, while reeling in what will turn out to be my biggest YFT of the trip, I followed the fish around the stern towards the starboard corner and got my line over a tangle in-progress mid-stern. When I reached that corner, I heard something to the effect of "...it's in the water!!!" A Mak 10 and Phenix 700 setup (one of Alan's loaners) had gotten yanked overboard by the still hooked fish just after being worked free of the tangle--another reason I hesitate using other people's toys--it can get expensive when things go wrong. We were anchored so the deckies threw out heavy jigs in an attempt to snag the rig back but to no avail.

At The 13, we found wahoo, but I did not land one. Everyone else was throwing wahoo bombs but I threw a 4-ounce kroc-style chrome spoon. I know something big hit it that made my line slice through the water before the split ring failed...the 80 lb swivel was the only thing left on the tag end of the wire. It pulled my line faster than any of the YTF we'd been encountering so I'm guessing wahoo. Knew I should have swapped those rings out for 120 lb ones (which I had with me) or stronger but didn't...lesson learned.

All of those hollow core splices held and so did my Bimini twist, San Diego Jam, Snell, and Yucatan knots.

All in all, the trip was a success without any of my conventionals, though it was self-evident my "Florida rigs," as the crew called them, made me work harder for each fish. HOWEVER, the overall experience never came close to the " Never again!!!" breaking point. Knowing that I can do an 8-day with just spinners was worth the price paid. Going forward, though, I can guarantee I will NOT have another brain fart that will leave my reels under the work table again. It's good to have the option to switch to the rail after sessions of the spinner lift-and-retrieve workout.

The Cabo 100 was definitely nicer the LT100, so I'm going to see if the recently discontinued Cabo 100 and 120 are still available and at a good price...guess I am a glutton for punishment. ;)

Dominick

Thanks for the report.  As you said it was fun and bummer at the same time.  That's okay it gives you great stories to tell the grand kids.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Leaving your reels at home is "pulling an Alan"!

Did you hit the Rocks or did the right turn to Clemente not give enough time for both the Rocks and the Ridge?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

that's exactly the kind of thing I would do  ;D, have done  ::), might do again.  :o 

Porthos

Quote from: MarkT on October 17, 2018, 08:52:16 PM
Leaving your reels at home is "pulling an Alan"!

Did you hit the Rocks or did the right turn to Clemente not give enough time for both the Rocks and the Ridge?

Did not make it to the Rocks.

Porthos

Hey Tim,

I tied two Yucatans...one for me and one for Tommy (both held up for the entire trip) in your honor.  ;)

steelfish

thanks for the report, full of ups and ooops downs

The Baja Guy

Big Tim

Quote from: Porthos on October 17, 2018, 09:54:25 PM
Hey Tim,

I tied two Yucatans...one for me and one for Tommy (both held up for the entire trip) in your honor.  ;)

My forehead healed, but you forgot your reels...Glad you are home safe & had a good time  ;D

Tim

Shark Hunter

Wai,
That deal on the Cabo 100 and 120's is still going on.
I have three of each. I am restraining myself from buying more.
They are nice reels.
Thanks for the report and glad you are back safe.
Life is Good!

Bill B

Good job brother, I cringed when I read you left your reels behind, but the Ohana was ready to pitch in.  Sounds like a great time.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!