Wide Top Star, reverse style for 4/0 complete

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 09, 2018, 10:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

The last operation off the mill was tapping. The reverse style star is my own design and I really like the way this turned out.

Whether your pulling the star from the bottom or pushing it from the top, .... using 1, 2, or 3 fingers , it just plain old works.

It comes in at 1.4 oz. I had hoped to do a bit better and  have several other designs that I like, both for JM and 4/0 and those should trim off a little more weight. Its possible I may be able to add a bit more relief on the back side and alter the shape a whisker. Even the tiniest amount helps! I have an additional paddle and  spoon shape that are WIP too.

This one is SS but the one for the 6/0 - 9/0 will be aluminum and will have an insert cut out of a brass star which will alleviate the problem of the buttress thread. From my calculations, it should weight in at about an ounce.

This is going on a gentlemen's full out Custom. All external dress up parts will be made here. It will have a shop made inserted acrylic knob, handle crank, custom star and shift lever, and plans are to do some pearl inlays. I have done inlays in the past and they really take a reel to the next level. Unfortunately, they're very time consuming but I think worth it.

OK, its back to the mill,  ....  all have a great evening,  ..  Lou

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

rjones

Rob

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

Beautiful, Lou!

Doesn't get better than that!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Beautiful work as always, looking forward to the rest of the reel!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

I like that star a lot.  Send me one.  I'll wear it like a badge.    ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Lou,  put me on top of your list for when you get making Christmas presents 🎁.  This is awesome 👏.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and idea.   You have many talents. 

bill19803

Great design,    superbly  executed  by a master  craftsman

mhc

Nice design Lou, improved function and it looks great!

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher