My Next Mag 10 Project (Name TBD)

Started by xjchad, October 19, 2018, 10:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Well I had so much fun with the Monster Mag 10 build, that I had to start another!  I love these reels! 

This next one is yet to be named, and I am open to ideas.
It will be built a bit lighter duty and used more for fishing artificials.  I plan to keep the level wind, fabricate a half frame that will sit the reel as low as possible on the rod and a few other tweaks that will make it stronger, more comfortable to use, and look rad at the same time.
This will be another extended build that I'll post on step by step as it progresses.  With the holidays coming up and the box of Sealines that just got dropped on my desk for double dogs (you know who you are  :D ) It might take awhile, but I'm really excited about it!

Here's the stock reel.  Made a low offer on ebay and was surprised it was accepted.  I love the early models that don't have the AR on/off lever.

Since I'm planning to build this one more like a baitcaster, I took inspiration from Mo and bought a cheap handle off ebay to see if I could make it work.

Obviously the mounting hole is not a match to the Mag 10 gear sleeve.

Time to go to work with the mini files...

Now that the handle fits the gear sleeve nice and snug, I can mount it to the reel and the first step is done.

Wait, that handle doesn't look quite the same....

I guess that's what happens when you send it to Sal to see if he can make some custom knobs for it...

Of course he can!!   :o  I LOVE how they turned out and wanted to wait until the build was done to show them off, but I just couldn't!  ;D

Thank you so much Sal! 

I'm already in love with this reel and can't wait to see how it turns out!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mhc

Looks good already Chad, I can't wait to see how you do the half frame. I can see why you wanted to show Sal's custom knobs - they look great.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Darin Crofton

;D ;D ;D

Excited to see how this one turns out, Chad.
I'm sure it will be "RAD" my friend!
Godspeed
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Can't wait to see what you'll come up with this one...keep it coming Chad! ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Great start Chad! I can already see...this one is going to be killer! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~