PENN 3 position accessory handles with torpedo grip

Started by basto, October 11, 2018, 06:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi everyone
Just purchased a 155L and was surprised to see it came with 2 handles. The 3 position handle is on the reel and the soft grip one is in the box.
I have not received the reel yet, but the pic of the box says it all.The soft grip is the counter balanced one, obviously.
My question is...Did PENN release many or any other models with these 2 handles?
thanks
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

George6308

The three position handle is a Penn handle but not supplied with the original reel. The original handle should be part 24-155.

mizmo67

If you got it via eBay, the seller had probably purchased the 3 position handle as an extra so he could change it out, since that is considered a "power handle"
The counterbalanced handle is what came with the reel.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

oc1

Maybe they screwed up printing the box and it sold have said "counterbalanced torpedo soft grip handle".  I don't know what a soft grip torpedo is though.  We will anxiously await its arrival.
-steve

basto

Hi guys and gals. Thanks for your replies.

Steve, I think you nailed it. Probably a typo. Anyway, I will post pics when it arrives.

Greg

Alto Mare

Greg, even though I could probably make a soft grip torpedo knob and have you guys scratch your head, I have never seen one. :)
It does appear a typo to me as well, they probably meant to say two different options with the handles and not two included.
The "Power Handles" were and option from Penn from way back.
This pic shows a 5" long power counter-balanced handle with the wood torpedo knob from the late 30's.
On the right, about 20 years later it shows the torpedo  power handle with the  ( 3 ) holes.

Today, about 70+ year after, these are still available and you could also get them in many different colors if you look hard enough :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

I think I know someone that makes them, colorful too... ;) ;) ;)
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Tightlines667

Sal,

That handle is pretty sweet!

I don't think I've seen that color and shape before.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

Sal
Thanks for the pics. The handle in your bottom pic is not common and very nice. I am looking forward to seeing what colour the handle on this 155 is.
Should arrive today.
Greg

Alto Mare

Yes Greg, please post some pics when it does.
I'm thinking white or black, but it doesn't really matter, these 3 position arms are still valuable today, no matter on color.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Hey Sal, You know your stuff! It is a black handle. The seller did not put the soft grip handle in or the spare spool (as advertised) Doesn't`t matter, the reel is in excellent shape and I got the alloy spool. Not bad for $50.00AUD posted.
cheers
Greg

Alto Mare

Greg, you did really good, that handle will still hit $50 at times on the auction. The oil port has  the ball and that's the one most are after.
Those are still made today, but with a new shape and the oil port has no ball.

The reel appears to be in excellent shape, enjoy it!

Sal