Squidder Noise

Started by Gfish, October 11, 2018, 05:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

After changing b.bearings on a vintage Squidder 146 that came with a Newell kit(spool, bars & stand), I still get too much noise when casting.
Possibly the bearings I bought as new, cup and all, from E-bay, were NOT. Can't say for sure, but, one cup looked worn on the numbers, but real shiny new, as though it were buffed out. I'mina buy fer-sure new ones and replace 'em.
Could a worn spool shaft cause the noise issue? The i.d. Of the b.bearings is 0.125(1/8)". The old Newell spool shaft is 0.122-0.123".
Would it be worth it to change spools if the newest b.bearings don't solve the problem? Would a spool shaft wear at all if it was riding on b.bearings? Would 0.003" even cause this?
Cost of b.bearings is a non-issue for me(though they are a funny size 1/2 o.d.x 1/8 i.d. and not gonna fit in somethin else), but cost of the spool is a thing...especially with the old one being a Newell....
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

This is a tuffy G. So many things could be causing the squeal...I'd have to hear it to get a better vibe. Did it squeal with the old bearings? Lots of these new bearings have very light lubes...lube choice can make all the difference in noise level. Those dry ceramic bearings sound like a skateboard. I'd say if you experiment with lubes you can tame the beast. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mike1010

The only BB Penns I have are squidders.  I find that even new bearings tend to be noisy when lubed with thin oils like ReelX.

Gfish

Ok. Play With diffrent lubes. It did make the same noise before I changed the b. bearings, and the ones that came with it when I first bought it, did seem looser than the "new" ones I got from "the Bay".

Here's what made me think a this: got the P21XN kit from Randy, for an HS Jigmaster. Very noisey HS before the build, just like the Squidder. As I rebuilt it, I switched out the B.bearings to for-certain-brand new ones. So, a new Tib. frame/spool and the new b.bearings and it's now as noiseless and smooth as can be. Casts really well too. Was it the b.bearing change, or the new HS-P21XN spool, or both? The shaft diameter on the old HS spool is about the same as the Squidder's Newell spool: 0.122", would that constitute wear, or isat the normal dia.?

Figurein out stuff like this is fun n' interesting.

So, I gotta check the spool shaft diameter on the P21XN kit and see what that one is, and maybe assume that ones right...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Two or three thousandths difference doesn't sound like much.  Can you feel it move in the bearing?  If the shaft was .125 I don't think you could get it into the bearing.  Wonder what would happen if you put the shaft in the bearing with a tiny tiny bit of Loctite and did a test cast.  Sort of risky, but maybe informative.
-steve

Gfish

My new Tib. spool's shaft( part that fits into the b.bearig)off the P21XN kit has a diameter is 0.123". Preliminary conclusion: it's the b.bearings. If I still getta low-key hissing sound after I replace the Squidder b.bearings with new ones from VBX, then I'mina try Steve's suggestion with the loctite thing, though it doesn't seem like the spool shafts would wear unless maybe the b.bearings froze-up at some time in the past.

Note: Lot's a confusion for me when readin posts back when I first come here. Ballbearings were called bearings and bushings were called bearings, etc., etc. Ballbearings for me now = b.bearings and bushings = bushings.

George6308

Loctite will only freeze up the ball bearing. It becomes a thick gummy substance when exposed to air and not in the confines of a threaded screw hole sealed from air due to the screw. It cures in the absence of air tightening up the thread interference stopping the screw from loosening.

Petah

GFish,
          Just out of curiousity, is the little "tab" on the handle side plate at the bottom just under the
the bottom bridge screw opening missing? It would cause the bridge to tilt and maybe you're spool shaft is rubbing on the inside of the pinion!????

Peter

Gfish

Quote from: Petah on November 29, 2018, 06:28:31 PM
GFish,
          Just out of curiousity, is the little "tab" on the handle side plate at the bottom just under the
the bottom bridge screw opening missing? It would cause the bridge to tilt and maybe you're spool shaft is rubbing on the inside of the pinion!????

Peter

What that.?

Reel 224

If you crank down on the bridge screws so they are supper tight, that can cause the problem.....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Petah

Here's a picture GFish.
This tab breaks off all the time if you're not careful and will cause the bridge to tilt when you tighten down
the bridge screws. Sometimes it is so bad that you can't crank at all. Hope this helps. If it's gone I drill a small hole and use a piece of wire coat-hanger to replace it with a little epoxy.

Peter

Gfish

Thanks Petah, I'll check it out today. Don't even remember that tab...? But I know it's difficult to take off the unscrew the head-plate.

Petah

Gfish,
         Ever figure out that noise??

Peter

Gfish

No. Sorry, didn't post sooner. Tab on bridge good to go. Either I just live with the noisiness, or it'll wear in and be less so, or break down and use some 10/40 wt. Been usin the HS- PX21 so much lately that I forgot bout the Squidder. 1.5-3.5 oz. and that puppy's an old school castin machine.