alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Ryoko reels - unheard of on this board?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 09, 2018, 01:32:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ryoko reels - unheard of on this board?  (Read 190 times)
MadKev

« on: October 11, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »

Hi Troops, Ryoko LD reels are coming into the UK now, but I've got one on my bench that's driving me crazy and the published schematic for their Borka 200R is definitely not the internals of this one.  Searching this board gets me nowhere yet. My big issue is that I can get a great freespool when out of the frame, but as soon as I reframe it and advance the drag lever the freespool never returns, just down to about one second spin is all.  Any generalised advice, or a link to a better schematic, would be really helpful if anybody has it.  I've tried searching for Ryoko company HQ, but all I'm getting is far east tackle shops. Grateful for any help, MK
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »

Hi Kev —

Not being familiar with the Ryoko — however, knowing that most LD reels have the same principles with the exception of the Tiburons...

Are you assembling the reel with the lever back to freespool — and the freespool knob in the free position?

Then adjusting the freespool knob with the lever in freespool to your desired drag pounds at strike?

If not, this could be the issue — as well as someone else improperly fiddling with the knob and lever — possibly damaging the mechanisms.  About half of the anglers out there do not understand how to adjust freespool on a LD reel — and generally it is an easy fix by going back to freespool for the lever and the knob.  And never adjusting the FS knob while the lever is at strike or full.

When bringing up the knob pressure — I generally set my strike target drag at 30% of the line test by using a poundage scale connected directly to the line when the reel is mounted to a solid object like a line winder or a reelholder jig mount.  This is just a straight line setting — not using a rod.

You likely already know all of this — but it never hurts to ask.

Best,

Fred

“Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn’t. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening.

Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.”

― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: