NIB 16/0 Lighthouse Penn

Started by Deepfins, October 12, 2018, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

OK...I'm OK...fell off my chair but I ain't too bruised up. Awesome! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

This is like striking GOLD, so awesome, congrats!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on October 12, 2018, 09:22:44 PM
Okay folks....  I guess a Bimini.  Dominick

And Guess you DO!!!!

It is a Double Overhand, 4 half hitches Huffnagle Knot!!!!

I'm heading over for some wine! ;D

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, I would guess that the catalog that came with the 12/0 is worth $300+ all by itself.

Maxed Out

Wow again !! The 1937 catalog is introductory year for the 12/0.....the complete package with box, catalog, lube, and wrench could easily be valued up to a couple grand in today's collector market.....congrats on the rare gems, all are home runs !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

WOW!! once in several lifetimes find.
I'm guessing bimini too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Deepfins

Many thanks! 

Here are the two Kovalovsky's from the estate; an Esquire Cradle reel and a C-Type.  If you go to my website at www.kovalovskyreels.com, you will see pictures of a complete breakdown of the C-Type.  It was a simple and near bullet-proof design, yet still cost twice what a 16/0 Penn did.  The Esquire sold for 4 times what a 16/0 Penn did!  The C-Type reel showed more use than any of his other reels, and his line changing records showed him fishing with it into the 60's.  It was his go-to reel.  Much to Penn's credit, they built a good, dependable reel at a price the average Joe could afford.  In the right hands, a Penn reel could catch nearly anything that swam in the ocean.

Cheers,
John
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

oc1

Quote from: Deepfins on October 12, 2018, 08:44:54 PM
And Steve, I appreciate you noticed that loop!  I love that kind of stuff.  That simple knot is part of big game history.  Here is a closeup of it.  Don't ask me to duplicate it!  I can barely tie a granny knot!

Dang.  The reels just get better.

Maybe not a bimini but something else.  I am going to take a wild guess and say they separated the three strands, then wrapped each strand up the main line using a locking hitch..... if that makes any sense.  Knot to be a distraction from some world class reels.
-steve

Alto Mare

I also believe the strands have been separated and re-wrapped. That wrapping will usually have  three strands, but it sure doesn't look as three, I think two but might be wrong.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Dominick on October 12, 2018, 09:22:44 PM
Quote from: Deepfins on October 12, 2018, 08:44:54 PM
And Steve, I appreciate you noticed that loop!  I love that kind of stuff.  That simple knot is part of big game history.  Here is a closeup of it.  Don't ask me to duplicate it!  I can barely tie a granny knot!

Okay folks, let's guess at to the type of knot this is.  I guess a Bimini.  Dominick

Not sure what knot that is. I dont believe it's Bimini... Jeff

Rivverrat

WOW !    www.kovalovskyreels.com  This is your website ?  I've spent countless amounts of time repeatedly looking ( Lusting ) through the pics of those reels... Jeff

handi2

Simply amazing what you have found. I know there was a premium price paid for this history.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

There's some fabulous reels,,, :D great job man ;D

Penn Chronology

No doubt an amazing sale.

So much in one place.

The 1937 Penn catalog is a very rare publication in any condition. Yours looks fine, possibly the best I have ever seen. There are two editions of the 1937 catalog, not sure which one you have, they are both rare. The second edition has the 100 yard Newport- Model 31 in it.

The Ocean City 16/0 is also a rare breed, especially with the fighting handle and the box. I only know of one other 16/0 with the handle. I have a 12/0 with that handle, which makes three.

There are no words for the Kovalovsky. He and his son are my favorite makers.

Sales like this become historical.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 14, 2018, 05:34:23 AM
No doubt an amazing sale.

There are no words for the Kovalovsky. He and his son are my favorite makers.

I am a pigeon among eagles when it comes to this stuff. That said, I to find the reels produced by the Kovalovsky's to be my favorite of any made.

When it comes to making reels I find them to be a place where art, mechanical design & craftsmanship come brilliantly blended together in a very unique manner that says, clearly, the is the benchmark, from the hands & mind of a gifted individual who was the very best at his craft ... Jeff