NIB 16/0 Lighthouse Penn

Started by Deepfins, October 12, 2018, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Incredible find brother. A center piece for sure..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Just when I thought it was safe to clean the drool off my computer... WOW, bro, you hit the mother load.
That cradle Kovalovsky is the bees knees.  Simply amazing craftsmanship!
Thanks for showing us your treasures,
Dom

ez2cdave

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 12, 2018, 03:58:38 AM16/0 was $100 late 30's thru 1955, so tough to put a date on it. Non numbered would mean 1940's.

Just to show you that reels "hold their value", since no one has done so, let me offer you $100 for the 16/0 . . . LOL !

Incredible reels in amazing condition - Great find !

Tight Lines !

Deepfins

Again, thanks everyone!

Here are a few pictures of the old guy who fished the tackle.  In the first picture he is fishing with the Kovalovsky cradle reel, with a custom Lott Bros tip, both of which were part of the collection.  I love the old B&W pictures.  Take careful note of the last picture, then read my next post.
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Deepfins

So tell me this isn't one in a million.  The attached picture was sent to me a couple months ago from a guy in Canada.  He sent it along with some pictures of his grandfather's Kov' reel he wanted me to post on my website.  The man in the picture is his grandfather.  It had been some time since I saw the picture of his grandfather, but today when I was uploading pictures of his reel, I took another look at it.  Something looked familiar.  So I uploaded the one that I got of the guy on Long Island who had all the tackle.  Well, I about p**ped my pants.  It is the same tuna, same day, same time, same guy as in his picture.  These two guys knew each other, and where together when these two pictures were taken!!!  They fished together that day!!  Gotta love it!!  Anybody recognize where the pictures were taken?
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

54bullseye

Wow That is cool !!!! I love those old pictures to but these show reels much closer up than most ! That one of the guy who owned collection with the Kov cradle and Lott brothers rod will make that combo even more valuable.  Great find John and your website was the best Kovalovsky move you will ever make !! Good for you !  John Taylor

Swami805

Thanks for posting,those picture put it all in context. There's a small world story. What a tremendous collection.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

AC49

Thanks John for sharing your find !!
In the picture with the OC 16/0 there is a linen line holder or is it how the linen line was cleaned or kept ?
Are there any more pictures showing more detail ?
Thanks
AC49

Deepfins

Yes, those were line driers, AC49.  That particular one came with this collection.  Somebody just started a thread on this site regarding these.  They'd strip the linen off, rinse and dry it, then re-spool it.  Sometimes they would reverse the line, when re-spooling.  Attached is a large motorized one that also came with the collection.  I am in the middle of restoring it.

John

AC49

Thanks John. Yes I saw the other thread.
Regards AC49

Cuttyhunker

I must admit that the last two black and whites above looked familiar.  They were taken at Wedgeport Nova Scotia.  The guy in the black hat, and my avatar, is my grandfather who besides being a pioneering big game fisherman, was also twice NY state skeet shooting champion.  Although I have never seen him I expect the other guy in John's photo and the source of this estate is Doc (name removed for family privacy) pronounced  XXXXX, they were great life long friends always betting with the stakes being a new Stetson hat from Ambercrombie and Fitch when it was the American sporting goods store.  Years ago on ebay I saw a red Kovalovsky warranty tag, for I think was reel #145 filled out in what I thought was in Doc's name out of Huntington NY.  Attached is the Tycoon and 16/0 Kov in the old photo's next to a 1937 12/0 Penn (no front lugs) that probably preceeded the Kov, both now residing in my living room

Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

John
That dryer with the motor is identical to the one that lived in my cellar as a kid that I referenced in the line dryer thread here.  Sorry to say long lost.  Bet it was from A&F NYC
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Ok, I've read this three times and head is still spinning processing this: the gear tied to the gent's pics with two guys on this site...which would have been awesome provenance from 80 years ago if the pics were 209's with flounder...what amazing stuff. Makes me want to put all my reels back in the boxes that I bought new...

Darin Crofton

Cutty, That's incredible man, thanks for sharing this amazing story!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?