NIB 16/0 Lighthouse Penn

Started by Deepfins, October 12, 2018, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Thanks for sharing this with us. Very Cool stuff!
Don't cut yourself short Mike, Your Vintage set of Excellent condition Harnell Rods is truly amazing.
Life is Good!

Dominick

John, I was fascinated by the rest of the room.  There was some nice old fishy stuff including old rods and deep sea diving helmet, etc.  I think everyone here would appreciate some photos of that room.  Any chance?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on November 02, 2018, 08:00:34 PM
John, I was fascinated by the rest of the room.  There was some nice old fishy stuff including old rods and deep sea diving helmet, etc.  I think everyone here would appreciate some photos of that room.  Any chance?  Dominick

X2

It is a veritable museum.  An online photo walkthrough would be alot of work, but might provide a great inventory and am an certain it would prove a valuable resource for others.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Deepfins

Dominick and John,  I would be happy to share a virtual tour of my tackle/nautical room.  I recently restored my main display unit, and placed some of the new tackle I picked up inside it, so I need to take some updated pictures.  I'll try and get to that within the next few days.

Below is more tackle from the estate.  I'm not sure what any of it was used for.  The two small wire tools look like fids for splicing.  They were brand new, wrapped up in original packaging.  Then there is that canvass harness.  Not sure if this was used for fishing or for some boat application.  There were 3 of these.  Lastly, a small little hand tool, maybe for crimping?  It has a small v-notch in one of the jaws.  All these items came out of the same duffel bag, along with his gaff tips and gaff ropes.

Cheers,
John
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

thorhammer

Photo #2 is clearly Dominick's Speedo from the college years  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't give it back...I may fish with him soon and can't unsee that once modeled.....

Deepfins

Hah!  I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard!  Funny stuff!  Now I have to try desperately not to visualize that!
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

Rivverrat

Quote from: The Great Maudu on November 01, 2018, 12:20:35 PM
Everyone who has ever started collecting vintage tackle fantasizes, hopes and prays to find a treasure trove like this and have the means to acquire it. This is the most outstanding find I have ever seen or heard about. Congratulations and thank you for bringing it to light.

Yup! Its pretty cool to have it shared here... Jeff

broadway

Let's not derail the thread guys... Domnick's speedo is and always was pink. :-*
Sorry Big Dom I couldn't help myself.
Yours truly,
Little (6'6") Dom

foakes

Quote from: broadway on November 03, 2018, 06:27:29 PM
Let's not derail the thread guys... Domnick's speedo is and always was pink. :-*
Sorry Big Dom I couldn't help myself.
Yours truly,
Little (6'6") Dom

Yep, nothing kills a thread quicker than the mere mention of "Dominick's Speedo".

This outstanding thread deserves better... ;D ;D ;D

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

John,
I'd say the two wire gizmo's are fids for splicing the linen, have made up similar tools from lighter SS trolling wire for pulling thread under the wrapping when doing guides.  The wooden handled screw device may be some type of swedge for setting wire leader collars, what does the other side of the groove look like?  I remember you said Doc was still fishing in the early 60's.  I remember using twisted wire leaders on Swordfish gear then.
Doomed from childhood

Deepfins

I just posted pictures of my displays under the "Displays, Cabinets, ..." thread.

Now back to the Doc.  Bob, I know he was fishing into the mid-60's because he was presented with a plaque from the Nova Scotia Travel Bureau for having caught the largest bluefin tuna in NS waters in 1964, 760 pounds.  In 1964, the Doc' was 76 years old!!  Not a bad catch for his age!!.

The other "jaw of that tool is flat.

Dominick

Leather, but never canvas.   8)  I couldn't help myself.  My apologies to Deepfins.  These side comments are taking away from an extraordinary thread.  Come back with more John.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on November 03, 2018, 11:10:03 PM
Leather, but never canvas.   8)  I couldn't help myself.  My apologies to Deepfins.  These side comments are taking away from an extraordinary thread.  Come back with more John.  Dominick
I agree Dominick! I just removed my comment.
Keep it coming John, we are all enjoying your thread.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cuttyhunker

Looking at the "fids" I begin to wonder.  Doc was active in 64, long after the linen was being used, which went away pretty quickly after the war when the nylons and polyesters became available relegating the line driers to the cellar.....or is this all prewar stuff which just got stashed and wasn't in his active kit in the end?  The "speedo" is really heavy duty the way the rings are stitched in, the canvas appears heavy duty as well, and the grommets do look to be industrial strength.  The hand vise device with the rod by the jaw and joint by the handle on the other side of the heavy threaded rod was certainly engineered to keep the "jaws" square as they were closed.  I'd be inclined to think pre war since we have a crew here that has wrung gallons of salt water out of their socks, all of us without a clue.  I'm sure if my dad were alive he'd say oh yeah those are the blah blah woofdy woof devices.  Maybe someone at the IGFA museum in Ft Lauderdale could put a handle on it.  It is a bucket list destination for all the folks signed up here.
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Not to be nit-picky, but nylon line hit the market in 1937.  It was as much a public relations ploy as anything else.  DuPont had just perfected nylon filaments and was looking for applications.  They were also trying to shed their image as the dynamite company and develop their image of providing better living through chemistry.  There were also social/political angles because nylon could replace Japanese silk as a raw material.  Silk was in short supply and, at this point, the Japanese were being shunned because of their incursions into China and there was a grass-roots boycott of Japanese goods.   So one the first nylon products was fishing line manufactured by Ashaway Line and Twine.  They did an interesting product placement by having Franklin Roosevelt use nylon line on a light weight (we would call it medium weight today) tarpon rig provided by charter captains on a trip to Port Aransas, TX.  Newspapers and newsreels shown in movie theatres were the media of the day and this trip was very well covered.  It appears that DuPont, Ashaway, the charter captains and Franklin's son Elliott all conspired to have the line hyped in the news.  The fishing trip was eclipsed in the media mid-week by the crash of the Hindenburg.

But, promoting the revolutionary new fishing line soon waned as the US moved to producing materials for the upcoming war such as nylon cord and rip-stop parachute fabric.  Perhaps the most important early use of nylon was for women's stockings.  Nylon stockings were also developed in response to dwindling silk supplies.  Then, when both silk and nylon were diverted to war materials, women's stocking became a precious commodity.  It came to a head in the Nylon (Stockings) Riots of 1945.  The riots did not abate until there was a public proclamation from the government and DuPont that nylon production would immediately be shifted from war materials to stockings.  So, for all practical purposes, nylon fishing line was indeed a post-war thing.
-steve