NIB 16/0 Lighthouse Penn

Started by Deepfins, October 12, 2018, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Thanks for posting, sounds like 2 very different men brought together by a love for fishing. I'd bet if they were around today they wouldn't have been happy the way it turned out but would have no regret about trying.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

John et al,
Was just re-reading the thread and think  I know what the stitched up mystery chevron shaped canvas piece was for.  Back then the battle was mano a tuna, no super strength rod holders for the fight.  I'll bet the center of the chevron with the eyelets was laced to the rod above the reel, using the attached tied on cord, and the eyes at the ends snapped into the angler's harness.  It would defiantly increase the angler's leverage to keep the tip up during the fight.  Were any of the very early big game reels delivered without harness lugs, making this a precursor for harness attachment prior to standard lugs?
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

John,
When it rains it pours.
Just found the 24B Penn manual and parts list as part of an ebay auction and the cover boy, Mr Johnson, is shown with his 1938 world record tuna.  This is contemporary with the photo's you got from Doc.  The copy notes he's from Port Washington, my Gramps home then and next door to Doc.  No doubt, I would expect, that he was a Freeport Tuna Club guy in that circa and was possibly on the Wedgeport trip as well.  Does he show up, I am curious, in any of the photo's you got from Doc's family?
Doomed from childhood

Deepfins

Bob,  I can find no mention or pictures of Mr. Johnson in any of Doc's stuff.  Interestingly, though, I have a copy of the February, 1939 Outdoor Life magazine with a list of world records compiled by Thomas Aitken.  He notes that F. Alfred Kinney was the new world record holder for bluefin tuna at 864 pounds, caught in September of 1938.  In the same issue of the magazine on the facing page of this article is a Penn ad showing a picture of catalog number 7, with Kinney's picture on the cover with his 864# tuna, and noting he used a 16/0 Penn.  Yes, it is a 5 o'clock, 1st gen' reel.  Not sure why Johnson's fish was not certified as the record, as it was larger by four pounds.

Penn must have been very aggressive at chasing fishermen down, and using their notable catches in their advertising.

Sorry for the poor quality scans, but I used my cheapo printer. 

"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Dominick

Deeepfins, would you post a photo of the whole second page?  I read the whole fist page but am cut off on the next page.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Cool stuff.....and the scans look a bit fuzzy until I clicked on the picture and it becomes crystal clear. Thanks for posting the article

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

From the 1940 Penn cat we have both Kenney and Johnson on the cover, looks like Johnson's bigger tuna was in 1939, not in 38 as listed in the 1959 Penn literature above. In the 1939 catalog image from the magazine scan, also above, Kenny has the cover all to himself
Doomed from childhood

Bill B

What an incredible history lesson we are being taught.  Thank you.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on December 29, 2018, 02:08:09 PM
From the 1940 Penn cat we have both Kenney and Johnson on the cover, looks like Johnson's bigger tuna was in 1939, not in 38 as listed in the 1959 Penn literature above. In the 1939 catalog image from the magazine scan, also above, Kenny has the cover all to himself
I'm not with my references, but Catalog 8 should be later than 1940.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cuttyhunker

Sid,
Look a few posts up the thread to John's magazine ad with Catalog 7 along with the "New for 1939" headline.  I downloaded #8 from the ORCA library.
Doomed from childhood

Penn Chronology

nelz

Wow, what an entertaining thread this is!

Side-note: I've always found it so bizzare that the old-timers ran around in jackets n' ties even when bloody-mess fishing!

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on January 01, 2019, 05:14:19 PM

Side-note: I've always found it so bizzare that the old-timers ran around in jackets n' ties even when bloody-mess fishing!

That's how I roll for all my fishing adventures !  Your not doing right   ... Jeff  

Cuttyhunker

I remember the sweater he's wearing, purple wool trimmed with suede. Pretty moth eaten the last time I saw it in the late 50's. No doubt from Abercrombie & Fitch. The rod and reel have survived though with the linen.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Gentleman's clothing worn during hunting & fishing trips was probably a European(esp. English) upper class thing that made it's way here. 
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!