NIB 16/0 Lighthouse Penn

Started by Deepfins, October 12, 2018, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepfins

Here's a few reels I purchased that came out of an estate on Long Island.  I don't know much about the Penn's other than the 16/0 is an early one with no part numbers, and the 12/0 and 9/0 are 1st generation reels.  The 16/0 is NIB.  The 12/0 is in excellent condition.  The OC 616 is in excellent condition, and the box is mint.  Enjoy!

Cheers,
John
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Deepfins

A few more pic's.
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

Vintage Offshore Tackle

All that I can say, now that I have caught my breath, is WOW!

Swami805

Holy moley! There's estate sales then there's that. Stunning!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

12/0 was $50 up thru 1942, so it is pre war

16/0 was $100 late 30's thru 1955, so tough to put a date on it. Non numbered would mean 1940's.

Either way I'd put a value of $1,500 on just the boxed 16/0

The boxed pre war 12/0 could easily be valued about the same amount with correct catalog and lube tube.

Thanks for sharing your estate sale score !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Man, what a beautiful collection of reels.  Excuse me for noticing the line but that is really nice too.  There is even a seized loop on the Ocean City.  Wish we could see how it is tied.
-steve

54bullseye

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 12, 2018, 03:58:38 AM
12/0 was $50 up thru 1942, so it is pre war

16/0 was $100 late 30's thru 1955, so tough to put a date on it. Non numbered would mean 1940's.

Either way I'd put a value of $1,500 on just the boxed 16/0

The boxed pre war 12/0 could easily be valued about the same amount with correct catalog and lube tube.

Thanks for sharing your estate sale score !!

Ted

12/0 is a 5 oclock handle doesn't that make it 1930s ??   John Taylor

STRIPER LOU

WOW, that's beyond amazing!

..............Lou

Donnyboat

Gee Wiz, every fisho`s dream, lucky man, & in such good order, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Deepfins

Here are the contents of the boxes.  The first two pictures are from the 16/0 and the second two pictures are of the 12/0.  I would guess the catalogs will help date both reels. 

The tackle from this estate was quite extensive, and represented a complete history of big game fishing, starting in the 30's and ending in the 60's.  The tackle included early reels by Kovalovsky through the later Penn and Ocean City reels.  And the rods ranged from early wood and cane rods by Gurrieri, John Herschel, and Kovalovsky, to later fiberglass rods by Lott Bros, featuring their famous crosswind fore-grip wrap.  He also kept detailed records on his yacht, correspondence between him and Arthur Kovalovsky, pictures of his catches, etc., the files of which were part of the collection.  There were also  a mountain of line driers, gaffs, rod belts and harnesses, etc.  He was very anal about changing out his linen line, and kept detailed notes regarding when he changed it out.  And all his gear was impeccably maintained.  There was even a beautiful plaque presented to him by the Nova Scotia Travel Bureau for catching the largest bluefin tuna in Nova Scotia waters in 1964 (760 pounds).  Yes, a once in a lifetime and very humbling find!

Cheers,
John

Deepfins

And Steve, I appreciate you noticed that loop!  I love that kind of stuff.  That simple knot is part of big game history.  Here is a closeup of it.  Don't ask me to duplicate it!  I can barely tie a granny knot!

Alto Mare

Gorgeous!...thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Deepfins on October 12, 2018, 08:44:54 PM
And Steve, I appreciate you noticed that loop!  I love that kind of stuff.  That simple knot is part of big game history.  Here is a closeup of it.  Don't ask me to duplicate it!  I can barely tie a granny knot!

Okay folks, let's guess at to the type of knot this is.  I guess a Bimini.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.