Help?! Pro Gear 251 drag won't stay tight.

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, October 13, 2018, 03:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have a very nice Pro Gear 251 that has a problem that I cannot figure out, and I was hoping that someone might have run into this before and can tell me how to fix it.

When I tighten the drag and turn the handle the drag backs itself off.  The star is not rapping on the side plate, or anything else that I can see.  Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thank you,
Randy

Reel 224

Check the spacer sleeve, did you ever have the reel serviced? could be the drag stack is messed up.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Joe is on the right track. It sounds like the drag stack is out of order or the upper eared washer is out of the groove & sitting on top of the main gear.        Rudy

foakes

Typically on these, it is something in the drag stack or spacer assembly that is not in place.

If all of the parts are original (sometimes other parts could have been substituted over the years for various performance changes — Jigmaster gears, different spacer, different drags, wrong sized domed top washer, etc.) — then generally just another disassembly of the head side, with care taken to reassemble in the proper order, with all ears in place, free turning, and no binding — will take care of any issues — along with drag grease.

Like said by Joe & Rudy — probably just a drag stack or spacer issue.

You probably have it already figured out, Randy...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Joe and Rudy and Fred for the help, and for the schematic Fred.  I will give it a shot.  I am probably one of the best guys here on Alantani.com at taking reels apart, but the worst at putting them back together.  I always say a prayer when it sit down to assemble a right side plate.  Wish me luck!

Thanks again,

Randy

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on October 13, 2018, 06:47:16 PM
I am probably one of the best guys here on Alantani.com at taking reels apart, but the worst at putting them back together.  I always say a prayer when it sit down to assemble a right side plate.  Wish me luck!

Thanks again,

Randy

Randy, I resemble that remark ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

It's nice to know that there are at least two of us amongst the mechanically challenged here, Darin, all thumbs in the midst of so many reel wizards.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on October 13, 2018, 07:40:18 PM
It's nice to know that there are at least two of us amongst the mechanically challenged here, Darin, all thumbs in the midst of so many reel wizards.
I feel you buddy, but I'll keep trying... :D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

gstours

I'm here for giving you simpathy,  you will figure it out, and you will learn something out of this.  Best of luck,  your cannot fail.   Thousands are waiting to help.👋🎣🚣‍♀️