Need Your Input For Next Tiburon Project? Newell 322XN or T60WEX Super Six?

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, October 13, 2018, 08:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

What in the world would one do with an XN Squidder vs. 146 width? I can throw most of line off a 146, and my thumb is already too fat for a XN Jiggy :), as Ted asked me the other day why I hadn't built one. Just curious as to application.

jigmaster501

anyone thought of making narrow daiwa sealine kits????? 30h, 50h, 400h?????

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Quote from: thorhammer on October 22, 2018, 06:58:29 PM
What in the world would one do with an XN Squidder vs. 146 width? I can throw most of line off a 146, and my thumb is already too fat for a XN Jiggy :), as Ted asked me the other day why I hadn't built one. Just curious as to application.
Same question. The 146 Squidder's a pretty small reel already.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: jigmaster501 on October 23, 2018, 01:13:18 AM
anyone thought of making narrow daiwa sealine kits????? 30h, 50h, 400h?????
A narrow Sealine would be so awesome, start with the 300h maybe? I have a bunch of different sizes and would be all over this!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Ron Jones

The 146 holds 300 yards of 65# braid. The Saltist 20LD I used extensively on the SOA trip holds 250 yards of 40# braid. A squidder with a 3 or 5 stack is never going to be a 60# reel.

A 146xn would have the needed line capacity and a much lighter spool than the 146. THat light spool may mean flipping a sardine past the skipjack and into the yellowtail.

As far as fly lining live bait and casting surface iron, the spool can never be to light.  Now, a 146xn with jigmaster guts with a 4.8:1 gear ratio? Almost as good as a CS 501.
Ron

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Got it....that'd mainly be a Left Coast app. Here we'd surfcast it, which means 20 lb mono, and the 146 only holds 230 yards or so as it is. A narrow one would be so far down in the arbor it would take all day to wind in 8 ozs of lead. By the time the OBX breeze gets it youre out 150yds of line to touchdown.

Ron Jones

When I was in Groton, I'd cast stick baits and plastics for stripers off the fishing pier. A little ree like this on an 8ft 20# rod would be perfect.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

thorhammer

True. We just don't have any plates for them; I probably have a half dozen waiting that aren't already  CC Classic 146's. Tom, how about some Squidder magnum plates? :)

Darin Crofton

Quote from: thorhammer on October 23, 2018, 09:21:09 PM
True. We just don't have any plates for them; I probably have a half dozen waiting that aren't already  CC Classic 146's. Tom, how about some Squidder magnum plates? :)

or get a pro gear 255, I believe it's a squidder magnum?
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Ron Jones

The 255 is a squidder magnum, but the cs 501 is smaller and faster. It'd take some math, but I bet a 5:1 extra narrow squidder would be about the same as a 501.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Brendan

Ron Jones

To answer the original question, I think the Newell would be the winner.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mo65

I'd love to see something in a new direction...but unfortunately it's a direction only about a dozen of us would care about. A frame for the 210 would be awesome, one that kept the levelwind would be "creative awesome". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~